Rug Warning

Willywilddog

Feb 21, 2008
Victoria, Australia
Our friends were away over the weekend and left their horses under the care of a very experienced friend. The horses are all rugged (the weather is appalling atm). On Monday the friend went to fetch her horse out of the paddock, only to find him standing, but very weak.
The horse's rug lining had split along the stitching on the centre, allowing manure to get between the lining and the outer. The result was that the weight of the rug nearly choked him. The horse now has an enormous haemotoma (sp) where his gullet meets his chest, but is otherwise ok.
Thankfully a happy outcome to what might have been a fluke tragedy.

I'd have to ask the qustion whether or not the friend removed rugs to check horse were ok underneath - and even if the weather's foul I'd still be making sure surcingles and belly straps were secure.

Regardless, it sounds a freak accident, never heard of that happening before.

That's awful, must admit I'm a bit of a rug checking freak! My ex boy had a bad habit of mangling his rugs so I was always checking, adjusting and he'd still get it off and rip it too shreds, it never ceases to amaze me what they can hurt themselves with never mind if we help them!

x

newrider.com