Rugging...stupid weather

HoneyB

Apr 10, 2012
Ok, so i am sat at work feeling like a bad horse mun. Honey had her no fill on last night (she has the amigo 1200d), but i didn't put it on her during the day yesterday as i didn't realise it would rain heavily, well it did in the afternoon!

I took it off her again this morning as at 5:00am it was sunny, and i was worried it might warm up! Well, now i am sat at work 40 miles away from home and the yard, and it is chucking it down! She does have a few big trees to shelter under and has her rambo sweet itch rug on, but i feel awful. It isn't like it is muggy or hot either!

I am fed up with this weather, wish it would be more consistent. Last week i put her no fill turnout on when it said rain and ended up nice and sunny, luckily she wasn't hot underneath it. I can't win! She is usually a good doer, but lost lots of weight, although since moving to somewhere that had grass, she has put on some which she needed to do.

How are you all coping with this weather and what are you doing rug wise?

My horse is out naked. He has got some shelter from the rain and does come in for most of the day, but this is to stop him scoffing grass ALL day as he has got a rather large belly at the moment.

While the rain is heavy at times, it isn't really cold and he seems to be doing OK.

ours are out without rugs - Acorn only feels it if its windy and cold with the rain - its tipping it down now - buts its only forcast showers today I try not to rug in summer, we rarely rug over winter but they are all haries.

mine are out 24/7 naked, through the summer i never put rugs on them at all, it may be raining but its not cold.

I beg to differ, it was only 10 degrees last night, which for this time of year is cold. Its is sunny now, but i always put a no fill on if it is heavy rain otherwise she shivers.

Also, remember you are 40 miles away.... it may not be raining where your horse is:biggrin:

10 degrees may be cold for this time of year but its not cold in general, but it is down to the individual horse at the end of the day, they only have summer coats at the moment so they can get cold, but a LW will only keep them dry not warm.

Last edited:
Not rugging here either at the moment, they have plenty of natural shelter if they want it.

Im anti rug unless absolutely necessary for the wellbeing of the horse.

It very much depends on your horse. I've got one who is clipped and out naked all through winter. However, my elderly dinky pony now needs rugging if there's to be prolonged rain for more than a couple of days.

Pointless though, me telling you about my 2 as its yours that counts. Unless you've got a very needy horse then 1 day in the rain won't do any harm so just tug tonight if you need to.

As my friend told me yesterday, ponies are built to survive the rain! Absolutely no need for rugs unless a very poor doer. Even my older poor doer is managing just fine rugless and we've had some torrential downpours. They just bake if rugged, even in a no fill. As has been said each to their own but mine will definately not be rugged again until clip time in october.

I beg to differ, it was only 10 degrees last night, which for this time of year is cold. Its is sunny now, but i always put a no fill on if it is heavy rain otherwise she shivers.

ah but see it just depends on the horse/person. as even at 10 degrees mine don't get rugged in the winter....

Mine won't get rugged at 10c in winter either, below that I start to use a rain sheet, below 5c he'll get a l/w and freezing he gets a MW. If it's dry and freezing he'll be naked during the day!

I've wrestled with myself for ages over this one, and I've decided it's better to be too cold than too hot - at least they can run around to get warm if the temperature drops, whereas a rise can make them very uncomfortable if they're rugged.

newrider.com