Rugs for chunky horses

Mb23

Apr 6, 2008
Hiya,

Does anyone know which rug makes are a good fit for chunky cobs? I have a heavy weight cob who's only just 15hh but very wide. Most of the rugs I've tried seem too small around his front and rub the coat off his shoulders. One of my friends suggested a hoody type thing to wear under the rug to stop the rubbing but that still doesn't solve the problem of rugs being too snug around his shoulders. Are there any rug makes which are wider and would fit my chunky boy? Which rug makes have the largest shoulder gussets? The tack shop are getting sick of me returning rugs that don't fit.

My parents' cob is 15hh and very heavy. The only rugs that fit him comfortably are Shires :) He has two light weight rain sheets, which only go on in grotty weather over winter.
You can also get strap extenders which give a little more scope across the chest. In my experience, rubbing tends to be caused by rugs that are a little too loose rather than tight, so it may be that the whole rug is just not the right fit for his shape.

Both masta and fal are very generous, i think Fal even do an extra wide fitting? suprisingly, the rugs that fit my tank-like welsh cob are Amigo.

Hi,

I had a simular problem with my boy. he's a 15hh cob, not too chunky but quite wide in the shoulder/chest, and I found i was buying rugs bigger than I needed just to be able to do them up around the chest :eek:

I found the Amigo range were quite roomy so def worth a try! I got most of mine from Ebay :D

The only rugs that fit my very chunky 17.2hh ID x are Fal and Premier Equine. Weatherbeeta are ok length-wise, but tend to look a little like mini-skirts :eek:, and can sometimes be rather neat round his huge shoulders. Amigo gave a mini-skirt look, and the surcingles only just met! (I know he carries a little extra weight at the mo, but that was back when he was a little leaner!! :eek: :rolleyes:)

I've got an ID with a very big front & over the years the best fits I've found are the Masta CheckTech & Premier Equine. Jumpers Horse Line are ok too, but not quite as generous. I've never tried Fal (I just can't bring myself to spend that much on a rug :eek:) but have heard they're roomy.

newrider.com