Run free Jasper

eml

Apr 29, 2002
Leicestershire
www.ivanhoeequestrian.net
One of my all time favourite RS ponies a palomino Welsh D very aged gave up eating a couple of days ago and today we had to say enough is enough as he was scouring and losing weight at an alarming rate, even the vet cried when she saw him as we had done this morning. Two days ago we could see ribs and he looked elderly, today he had lost all muscle and looked awful.

We bought him as a 14yo having been pulling a cart round a local town for a few years. He was sharp and suspicious but kind, normal Saturday cry was ...EML can you catch Jasper for us?...often we had to catch in everyone else then I would stalk him around the field, once he gave he was was a delight. He had a club foot that we managed to sort out gradually but had been retired for a few years as his breathing became problematic in work. He had never been a good doer and had to have his own personal worming programme as many wormers made him colic.

I suspect some form of cancer took him, my initial thought was EGS but as the vet pointed out in his late 20s that was unlikely.

RIP Jasper.

He was a lucky boy to have found you.

It's very sad when the oldies go like that, but he clearly told you that he was unwell and at his age what can you do? It's nice that he had a few years of retirement just to poodle around.

Hugs, the real characters like him leave a big hole.

So very sorry to read this, but I have to say your horses are extremely lucky to end their days with you, what more could they ask for in their final years?

May I pop you name onto the auld will for Dolly's next home please?:wink:

newrider.com