Runnig martingale/standing martingale or market harborough?????

jazzy's girl

Apr 24, 2008
I have a fell pony who has JUST turned 7. When we are working in the school, she will stop when I ask with my seat only.
She is just beginning to stop this way when I ask if we are out on the road, but when we are riding through the woods I have no chance. :eek:
I usually ride with another 2 girls and my pony likes to "play" with the other horses, both of them are 11. She will hang back behind and then set off at a fast trot to catch them up, ususlly causing them to get giddy too. We are all used to this now and laugh about it. Sometimes though I have NO control over my pony as she lifts her head high to evade the bit. One of my firends suggested putting her in a martingale to teach her to keep her head low.
Would this work or is it just a solution to the problem rather than an actual teaching meathod? Which of the above is the kindest aid to use? Can anyone else suggest anything better? :confused:

If you were going to go for a martingale I would go for the running martingale as that will only come into effect when she's actually rising her head above the point of control.

I would suggest a standing - more direct action, but acts on the nose not the bit so I think a clearer message.

I think there is nothing wrong with using an aid as just that - an aid until your ned learns that it is more appropriate to keep his head lower.

Hi
I have used a martingale and now use a market harborough.
The MKT H is gr8 as its like a martingale but with adjustment rings to clip on when needed.
I usually ride on the 1st ring- which in affect is like a m/gale. But there are 2 more rings which you can use when schooling.
Hope that helps- my horse is a dales x cob and gets excited when out with othersa aswell.
pm me if you want to chat more
cheers x

newrider.com