Running a horse box

I'm thinking about all this at the moment too! Will need to do trailer test and all that but I like to plan ahead! :D
Alibi - Do you have a list that is easy to access of what can tow 2500? If its not easy to access don't worry about it but if you have it to hand I'd love to see what's on it!! ;)

Eventually I went for a Daewoo / Ssangyong Musso for the following reasons:
*It was cheap to buy - really cheap! complete with full leather interior, heated seat and a few other gadgets (which I don't have a clue about)
*They gave me a great price for my clio
*It had a full dealer service history
*They have mercedes engines
*It pulls 3500kgs and pulls a trailer and 2 fat cobs with ease!
*Good fuel economy for the size of vehicle
*The boot is huge - fits 3 big dogs comfortably!

Bad points:
-parts mainly come from Korea so there can be a wait, but the most I've waited has been 5 days
-It rattles a wee bit, especially over bumpy tarmac!
-Not the best looking car, does absolutely nothing for street cred, but that doesn't bother me

These are weights for towing a braked trailer. Can I say that if you are thinking about buying a vehicle for towing, check the cars actual manual for exact towing weight as the vary between models, age of vehicle, etc, but here's a rough guide line. All diesel models.

Toyota Landcruiser 2800kgs
Nissan X-trail 2000kgs
Toyota Rav-4 1500kgs
Discovery approx 3500kgs
Defender approx 3500kgs
Freelander td4 1800kgs
Shogun 2800kgs
Ssangyong Rexton 3500kgs
Daewoo / Ssangyong Musso 3500kgs
BMW X5 2300kgs
Hyundia Sante Fe 2000kgs
Hyundai Tuscan 1600kgs
Jeep Cherokee 2688kgs
Kia Sorento Diesel2.5 2800kgs
Suzuki Grand Vitara 1850kgs

I was keen on a SSangYong/Daewoo Musso. purely coz they were cheap. do you take it to a dealership for servicing etc? we had major problems with my mum's daewoo matiz when it came to servicing and getting parts. can any garage service the Musso's??

Well seeing as my Uncle is a mechanic and the OH used to be a mechanic they do any work on it and service it. And my parents are in the commercial motor parts business so getting hold of parts isn't a problem for me.

I bought it from a main dealership and they gave 3 months warranty with it so it went back a quite a few times before the warranty ran out just to make sure everything was right.

Road Test taken from www.honestjohn.co.uk (good site to read about road teats for any cars)

What's Good
See Ssangyong Musso. Daewoo took over using Daewoo corporate grille from March 1999. Total 2,226 Mussos sold in UK to October 2002 by old Daewoo Cars Ltd. Daewoos generally had below average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 85.05 v/s lowest 31.93). Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk Telephone number for spare parts and service: 0800 60 60 60, or visit www.gmdaewoo.co.uk Outstanding service and warranty deal transferable to new owners.

From April 2004 parts support provided by SYUK Cars Ltd, official importer of SsangYong vehicles for Great Britain which can be contacted on 01252 775428.
What's Bad
See Ssangyong Musso.
What to Watch Out For
See Ssangyong Musso.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's Good
Big UK (Worthing) designed 5-seater 4x4 with elevaated back seats. 15' 3" long by 6' 3" wide, weighs 1,875kg and pulls 2,300kg. Complicated model history began with MB design 5 cylinder 2,874cc diesel developing 94bhp. Power of this went up to 98bhp in May 1996 and this engine continued alongside a 118bhp turbo launched December 1997. Also offered from Jan 1997 with 3199cc 217bhp twin cam six cylinder petrol engine and from from June 1997 with 2,293cc 138bhp four cylinder petrol. 5-speed manual or 4 speed autoboxes, auto only on 3.2 petrol. Production ended March 1999. Then Daewoo took over, building just the 138bhp 2.3 petrol and 118bhp 2.9 turbodiesel models, still listed in June 2002.

From April 2004 parts support provided by SYUK Cars Ltd, official importer of SsangYong vehicles for Great Britain which can be contacted on 01252 775428.
What's Bad
Bankruptcy blight took its toll on UK stocks and Mussos were sold at huge discounts in 1998 and 1999. This had a devastating effect on residual values to anyone who originally paid the full price, particularly iof they bought a 94 or 98bhp 2.9 diesel.
What to Watch Out For
Usual 4x4 checks, and make sure youc an find someone local to service it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another road test can also be found on http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/daewoo-musso-2002065.html

or put daewoo musso road test in Google

On licence after 1997 - If you bought a lorry that is 3.5 tonne then you are ok licence wise but as soon as you load a horse on that lorry it will take it over 3.5 tonne limit? no? making you ilegal?

At the moment i have a discovery for towing. Has been expensive to run as i do a huge amount of miles to work and back each day. Towing wise has been brilliant. The car its self again great - reliable even in the worst snow and low temps.

I sadly have to part with the disco as partner has a new shogun arriving on monday so no need to have two 4x4's. Just hope the shogun is as good as the disco has been.
Personally like having the option of no taxing insuring and mot'ing a nother vechicle so would opt for the trailer option.

The land rover if anyone is interested is going to be up for sale in another 2 weeks. Black 2.5 TD. New tyres. L reg with private plate. £1700.

Nookster, i *may* be interested in your disco. let me do a bit of research and i'll get back to you :)

ifor 505 weighs - 1450kg unladen

ok eventerbabe. As said won't be going up for sale for another 2 weeks or so as have ordered a new astra for myself so have to wait for that to arrive or no transport to work (actually thats not such a bad thing!):)

Nookster said:
On licence after 1997 - If you bought a lorry that is 3.5 tonne then you are ok licence wise but as soon as you load a horse on that lorry it will take it over 3.5 tonne limit? no? making you ilegal?

The 3.5 tonne is how much it can carry not the weight of the vehicle so you would be fine on a 1997 onwards licence.

I only know Ifor Williams weights because thats all we've ever had.

HB505 takes 2 x 16.2hds, unladen weight 905kg, max gross weight 2340kg

HB510 takes 2 x 17.2hds, unladen weight 1000kg, max gross weight 2584kg

But you should also add your tack, hay, and anything else you take.

Alibi said:
I only know Ifor Williams weights because thats all we've ever had.

HB505 takes 2 x 16.2hds, unladen weight 905kg, max gross weight 2340kg

HB510 takes 2 x 17.2hds, unladen weight 1000kg, max gross weight 2584kg

But you should also add your tack, hay, and anything else you take.

I have an HB505 and the plate on it says unladen 1450kg ?!?!?

older model with new floor fitted by ifor - so gathering weight will now have changed?

Horsebox every time for me! Then again, I compete a fair amount and stay away overnight (or for several days), so it gets well used. Works out way cheaper for me as I would be paying hotel bills or sleeping in the trailer a chunk of the time.
Ours is a 7.5T, takes 3 horses and has a living area as well, now on N-reg 75e15 cargo chassis.

Annual costs:

Insurance £200 (that is with limited mileage of 5000 miles pa)
Rescue £100
Plating £50
Road tax £165
Servicing & repairs - worst was about £500 but that included a new master cylinder on the old chassis.

Tyres are £60 each
The old chassis (we've just transferred the body onto a new chassis) did around 18mpg, the new one did around 22mpg on our recent trip to Rowallan and that involves some pretty big climbs and quite a lot of stops and starts, so a straight motorway run will probably be better. (That was with two big naglets and all the gear)

I share with a friend, so that knocks the cost down a load more and makes it cheaper than both of us running big 4x4s and trailers.

Also watch out for the hidden costs with 4x4s/trailers -

Most 4 x 4s do a max of 30mpg on diesel (more expensive than petrol) as opposed to 40 - 50mpg we get from our petrol cars.

Insurance on my Fourtrak was around £500 with full no claims 6 years ago, current car is around £400 with two drivers on the insurance. Once you start towing your mileage drops to around 15mpg with a 4x4.

Trailer insurance is comparatively more because they are so nickable.

Trailers should also be serviced annually (many don't get that!)

Infinitely less stable than a horsebox and provide a less comfortable ride unless you have one of the very expensive Fautras or Equitrek trailers - some of which are barely towable with a full load unless you have a BIG tractor unit for your vehicle!

newrider.com