Running Martingale.

I'd agree with Wally, that sort of thing is not what a running martingale is designed to help with and could well make things worse.

Reactions: Brisingr
This question confirms my reply to your other thread, please get some help before you get hurt & a horse gets ruined.

having just read your other thread and with out sounding nasty but if you do not have the knowledge to know what a martingale is used for but are responsible for 'breaking' a horse not matter what size I would have to ask questions about your level of experience. I am currently dealing with a horse that has been badly backed by a non professional and to be honest it is going to take me weeks to try and repair the damage this person has done

Sorry but I have to agree with what's been said already. If you don't understand what really basic tack like a running martingale is for then you could do with more training yourself before starting a youngster yourself.

You need to stop him getting his head down. A running martingale does the absolute opposite - it stops the horse from throwing it's head up too high.

Try a neck strap. Hold your reins as you would normally and hold the neck strap at the same time. If he tries to drop his head brace your hands against the neck strap and ride him forward. Back your leg up with a smack if he ignores your leg. Not to punish him but to direct his attention back to you.

But please, get someone with experience to help you with him. It takes no time at all to ruin a horse and an awful long time to undo.

Reactions: Brisingr and Wally
newrider.com