Rupert - New Forest temperament?

Steve.R

I have revived an old thread with a photo of Rupert on it. As you will see he has been fairly unanimously decided to be New Forest or New Forest X which I think is correct. He is coming on really well but I was just wondering (having never had/ridden a NF before) whether his temperament is typical.

He is a very lively, fizzy pony who feels almost like an arab to ride - incredibly light mouthed (he wears a French link snaffle but you hardly need to touch the reins at all) - and very sensitive. Quite nervous of things like newspaper and sheep (even though he lives with them + we are working on trying to get him calmer with the other things) but 100% quiet in traffic etc. He is very highly strung (much happier following another horse) and inclined to toss his head, paw the ground and jiggle around and is a spectacular jumper. Is this:
a. a typical NF temperament
b. partly because he is only 6
c. due to his upbringing (which I don't know a huge amount about)
d. just Rupert?

I'm sure it will be a combination of the above, and I'm not too worried about it as he is not difficult to ride and is quite safe just very excitable. I'm just curious......

Esther

i've found that foresters go one of two ways (and i ran a nf stud for several years, and show them, so have known many!) they're either completely unflappable and perfect kids ponies, or they're like rupert - lively and a fun adult's ride. i wouldn't put a kid on petal if you paid me! the jumping is a typical nf trait - i haven't known one who couldn't jump like a stag. have a look at www.newforestpony.com ,and there's a yahoo email group for foresters as well. plenty of info on the site about foresters.
mind you, most of ours prefer going in front - they all think very highly of themselves, and the front is the leader's place! petal is horrible if i make her go behind - she thinks she's queen of the world and should be out there in front!

thanks for the link.

I think Rupert's preference for going behind comes from a combination of two things:

1. he spent a few months in a riding school when he was a bit younger
2. he is a wimp! (and definately not herd leader!)

Nice to hear from someone who really knows New Forests, I have no experience of them at all, we don't seem to get all that many up here - of at least if they are here I haven't met them!

thanks

Esther

I'm onto my third generation of NF crosses, albeit getting a bit dilute now in the last generation!

I rode Prim when I was a kid - she was TB x NF, scatty but very sweet natured, incredible fun to ride, loved nothing better than a good gallop.

She had six foals, two died before adult hood but I rode all the others, all by TB stallions so all were 3/4TB but the NF temperament seems to dominate. All very like her in temperament, all had good paces and could/can really jump. The two oldest are now dead (one was Peri's dam), one is retired and the other now belongs to my friend - he's the almost 22yo still doing advanced level dressage.

Peri is the grand-daughter and at 7/8 TB has not a lot of the NF left in her (in theory) but she still seems to retain the cheeky streak I associated with Prim although she is very placid in other ways. She also has the Bl***dy NF mane - it is really thick and grows like an uncontrolled weed, unfortunately she got the TB tail - really fine and a tendency to be pathetic!

don't you just love that nf mane? i spent 10 years as ruben's (petal's dad) groom, and at the end of it i finally thought his mane would behave. he retired last year and it now looks like a shetland's mane!

New Forest mane's are adorable!! Dolly's is getting pretty long, and if you brush it, it goes all soft and shiny - GORGEOUS! :D

He sounds quite similar to Doll, in that she is pretty hyperactive, hates standing still and has the most amazing jump (she's the only pony on the yard who'll jump the river to get across to the field with the nicer grass). However, she comes under Es's first category - completely bombproof. Nothing can faze her and she only gets upset if she's told off or cold. :D

I hope you and Rupert get along well togther :)

Can I please see a photo of Rupert plz?

I have only seen New Foundlands in books

I had a Nf colt in my field as a play companion for my coloured colt cob. This NF colt jumped the railway sleeper fence rails, and smashed the top one ( he didn't hurt himself ) in the process. I was gobsmacked. You would be too if you went out to do b'fast at an unearthly hour a.m. and found him missing, and finally found him on the drive. The poor unfortunate postman helped me put him back in. He was a really nice sort. L

the jumping out thing is very typical! most of our babies have, at one time or another, jumped fences or stable doors. petal had her accident by clearing either a five bar gate or a post and rail fence with 4 foot ditch to get into another field. pity the dozy creature couldn't have jumped back out again...

Thanks Steve I thought I was the only one with hyper NF's. We have two in our Riding School, one late twenties,one 8 both lively,light and definately not childrens rides and although only 13hh happiest with adult riders and enthusiastic jumpers.

newrider.com