SAD - little update

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
Anyone suffer?
Been to the docs today for my pneumonia jab, burst into tears, oops! Nurse suggested I may have SAD, given me some info and suggested I try a light box. If no improvement I'm to go back and see the gp.
Personally I think I'm just a bit run down, (lots of crappy stuff happening recently topped off with two stinking colds in a month) but have bought myself said gizmo in the hope it may help.
To be fair I always feel miserable, gloomy, tired blah blah blah, this time of year and crave some sunshine (don't we all) but just curious if anyone else suffers and if the light box things really do help?

Reactions: Prjsmk
Sorry to read you've got the glums Kite-Rider - I used to get it but not so much now not sure why. I think that back in the day when I worked and it was so depressing doing the horses in the dark in the morning and then in the dark again after work and it all just seemed too much on top of all the family stuff and job responsibility.
One of my sons does get SAD quite badly I think probably because he is also Bipolar so anything like that can rock his mood quite easily - he has a light box and it definitely works for him, we see the difference within a couple of days even if he doesn't lol! I hope it works for you, nothing worse than feeling low and not quite sure why - worse than feeling low when you have a big reason for it I think as I used to feel guilty as I really had most everything I could want so it puzzled me as much as those around me. :)

Sorry to read you've got the glums Kite-Rider - I used to get it but not so much now not sure why. I think that back in the day when I worked and it was so depressing doing the horses in the dark in the morning and then in the dark again after work and it all just seemed too much on top of all the family stuff and job responsibility.
One of my sons does get SAD quite badly I think probably because he is also Bipolar so anything like that can rock his mood quite easily - he has a light box and it definitely works for him, we see the difference within a couple of days even if he doesn't lol! I hope it works for you, nothing worse than feeling low and not quite sure why - worse than feeling low when you have a big reason for it I think as I used to feel guilty as I really had most everything I could want so it puzzled me as much as those around me. :)

Yes I know what you mean, sometimes it's almost more annoying when you don't quite know the reason why, when everything can be going along swimmingly. Our minds are such a puzzle at times aren't they?

Anyone suffer?
Been to the docs today for my pneumonia jab, burst into tears, oops! Nurse suggested I may have SAD, given me some info and suggested I try a light box. If no improvement I'm to go back and see the gp.
Personally I think I'm just a bit run down, (lots of crappy stuff happening recently topped off with two stinking colds in a month) but have bought myself said gizmo in the hope it may help.
To be fair I always feel miserable, gloomy, tired blah blah blah, this time of year and crave some sunshine (don't we all) but just curious if anyone else suffers and if the light box things really do help?

Lots of cheery vibes coming. I hope the light box works. I have heard good things about them. As for the stinking colds - they are enough to make anyone feel down just on their own! Nasty devils!!!!
Sending energy and strength vibes too.

Sorry to hear you're feeling down in the winter dumps @Kite_Rider . I've no experience of a light box, did consider getting one years ago but as @Cortsana has said giving up work made all the difference to me - I later discovered I'm Bi-Polar so guess the box wouldn't have helped anyway. Hope it helps you - keep us posted. In the meantime love & courage to you xxx

I had a virus and felt run down and not really functional in November. My sacs were down.
So what you usually manage just feels like you can't and things are crap.
Glad the nurse picked it up though. In a positive way hope it's this and you feel better soon.
For general run down though I swear by berocca for one month or echineaca for one month.
You probably are getting enough daylight with horses etc but if not try and get more fresh air.

I don't know whether you call it sad or depression or what the hell you call it but I have hit rock bottom this last couple of weeks. I hate this feeling.
I get fresh air but after dark. I'm inside during the day and I'm outside working in the dark doing the animals. Also because of where I live in the hills we don't get any direct sunshine as it is blocked by the hill. From mid November to mid February, so basically 3 months I only get daylight not sunlight. That probably also has an effect.

Oh crikey, all you’re lovely kind replies have made me cry again. Thank you all so much, I really hope it works as I hate feeling this way, I’m normally a positive and upbeat glass three quarters full kind of gal but right now I feel like I’m very much half empty, not just the glass, I hate being all woe is me.
Thank you all for being here and being so supportive x x

Nurse suggested I may have SAD, given me some info and suggested I try a light box.

Its REAL
I KNOW IT ALL TOO WELL!!!

I got a Happy light yes that's the insane name!
A few years ago and it works BUT

what its giving you is "DAYLIGHT" lighting not 'soft white'
not 'cool white' like most bulbs are.

I went to buying only 'DAYLIGHT BULBS"
in all my lights. and it makes a big difference!

They are a bit harder to find you can find rows and rows of the horrid dingy light soft white ones ugh.
And if your lucky one row of DAYLIGHT.

Most bigger stores -home stores have them in just about any configuration or wattage or type you want.
I have gone to all LED
I can find what I specifically want.
They
take much less wattage.
For some reason if you want to
go over 60-75 wattage equivalent they get MUCH more expensive over here.

100 watt equivalent are insanely expensive.

Hope it works for you I would not be without them!!

Reactions: Kite_Rider
I'm so sorry you are feeling so down. Hopefully the light box will help but if not I'm sure the doctors will also be able to get you feeling more like yourself x

Sorry to hear you are feeling affected @Kite_Rider . I do hope the box helps you - I've found this winter particularly tough, so thinking of getrinf a light box too.

Are you takinflg vitamins too? I really notice if I don't take Vitamin B & C over winter.

Take care of yourself lovely X

This winter has been a tough one, it has been far wetter and miserable than usual here. I will be glad when its over. I really hope the light box helps you and it will be interesting to hear how you get on with it. Spring isn't too far away now..that's what I keep telling myself ;)

Gloom really gets to me.:(
I'm sure animals are affected too

And UGH red sky at morning sailors take
Warning.... so true:(
:(
It's just getting light HERE and sky is
ON FIRE

We are going to have a nasty blizzard
TOMORROW 8 to 14 inches and
70 mph.
Ugh not looking forward to that especially with temps below zero f only to 8f
Fri and Sat

Ugh if that does not make you SAD:(:(:(

ON FIRE

70 mph.
Fri and Sat

So over in USA they use that saying too. red sky in moring, sailors warning, red sky at night shepherds delight .

Wrap up warm tomorrow and stay safe.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Well since posting life has been interesting, ended up having a massive reaction to the pneumonia jab and being very ill for a couple of days (temp at 40 and struggling to breathe!) Doc says I've the flu but funny how I'm pretty much back to normal today.
Anyhow have been using the SAD light and although it's only been three days I'm already am starting to feel much better, I'm no longer falling asleep at 8.00 pm have slept soundly the last two nights for the first time in ages and generally feel almost alive again. Maybe coincidence, maybe psychological, maybe it actually works, either way I don't care, it's so good to feel almost like myself again instead of a miserable zombie. I will definitely keep it up until spring finally arrives and wish I had bought one sooner.
Thank you all so much for your kindness, it really is so lovely to have such an amazing group of internet buddies. :) x

ON FIRE

70 mph.
Fri and Sat

Stay safe Mrs - we are lucky that we never get such severe weather.

Sorry to hear you are feeling affected @Kite_Rider . I do hope the box helps you - I've found this winter particularly tough, so thinking of getrinf a light box too.

Are you takinflg vitamins too? I really notice if I don't take Vitamin B & C over winter.

Take care of yourself lovely X

Definitely worth a try, I think some companies let you have them on trial first to see if it works for you. x
I don't tend to take vitamins as a rule because I think I get enough from my diet but it might be worth trying I guess.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
newrider.com