Saddle being adjusted this week! Can't wait to see results!

Scarlett 001

Sep 16, 2003
So the saddle fitter/maker came out to the barn last night to look at Skeet's saddle (it was -40 celcius last night with wind chill, but luckily the stables is heated!). I bought the saddle knowing it was a good fit (thanks to galadriel's help - I sent her dozens of photos at different angles - and also her book helped too!), but also knowing that some adjustments would optimize it even more.

The saddle fitter agreed that it was overall a very good fit, but that adjusting some things would make it optimal for Skeeter. The flocking is flattened out in some places, and shifted in others (making a bit of asymmetry), and is a bit lumpy in places. So the saddle guy is going to make adjustments and fix all this up so it will sit on his back more evenly. This saddle does clear Skeeter's monster wither, but not by enough as is usually recommended - great news is that the saddle fitter said that when he adjusts the front panels (they are now flattened out) it will fit the withers and the front area very well.

I can't wait to get the saddle back in a week. The saddle guy said Skeeter should feel a big difference. Finally Skeeter will have a saddle worthy of his greatness! When I rode him a riding school horse, he rode in leftover saddles that hit his withers and had fit issues (he did not have his own saddle). Actually, Skeeter has a history of soundness/soreness issues in his back (for years before I bought him). His back has shown great improvement since I got him and is quite sound, but there is still some residual muscle tightness/soreness. I am hoping with the saddle adjustments, and some equine massage and stretching to relax his tight back muscles, he will be a whole new improved Skeeter - as relaxed as is possible! :)

No riding for a week though! Yikes! :eek: I will use the chance to do some bonding groundwork exercises with Skeeter and lunge him.

Last edited:
You could always hop on for some bareback if one week is too long, right? Then again if the saddle was lumpy and flat a little break might be nice before it comes back. :)

I was thinking your latter thought - that a week of relaxation might be a nice thing for him - then we can start all nice and fresh with the adjusted saddle and some massage.

newrider.com