Saddle sizes for ponies???

ruby fisher

Nov 27, 2015
Hello, I was wondering what all you lovely pony riders are using saddle wise? What size saddles do you use? how big is your pony? What height are you? I've just bought a lovely 14.2 hh riding pony but he is fairly short in the back. The biggest he can probably go is a 16.5 inch. I am 5.7 1/2 but only size 6 (tiny butt, long legs) Would that be too small for me? It's a dressage saddle but doesn't have a very deep seat.

Your best bet is to get a good saddle fitter out who can find a saddle that fits you both. Adults on ponies are often a compromise, so it's very important to know where compromises can be made & to see you in the saddle on the pony.

I am 5ft6" and a size 8 - long legs too lol - and I ride a 13hh native type pony. He is also short backed and is in a Thorowgood T4 Pony Long leg saddle which has a longer flap to accommodate a longer leg. It's fab, I love it.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 18.57.03.png

Another thorowgood fan here - 13hh fat, short backed cob, I'm 5'2 and 8st 12. I've got a pretty old maxam, but the saddler says it's spot on, and is happy to adjust, as and when.

newrider.com