? Saddle sizes - how to fit?

Victorian Elgin

Dec 25, 2001
Canada
Visit site
How does one know what size saddle 16-18 1/2 (?) inches will fit one's butt?

Is it a matter of just sitting in all of them and picking the one that fits? Or is there a formula?

Thanks for your patience.

When you sit in the deepest part of the saddle, you should be able to place at least a flat hand (sideways) between your bum and the cantle. Also, bigger seats normally correspond with longer flaps, so if a long-legged person ride in a 161/2 seat, the boots (if she's wearing tall boots) will catc in the saddle flap. (It doesn't sound like I'm talking from experience here, does it..? :p ) Here's a page on saddle fitting that I haven't really looked at yet.

I'm repeating a little bit, but yes its very true that a hands width between your bum and the cantle is needed. Its always a good idea to sit in the saddle in the store (but of course your horse's size should be your first priority).Check where your leg hangs in the saddle. Also, be sure to look in a mirror and see if just sitting in the saddle makes you fall forward or back. If security is a really big issue, look for saddles that have a deeper seat, even if the saddle is for jumping. And, what always helps, is having a educated horse person take a look at you, and always take the saddle on a trial, to see if it fits the horse and you. Don't get discouraged, I took like 7 saddles on trial until I found the right one for my horse and I! Good luck saddle shopping:D

Can I just mention that some saddles with deep seats may not always be best for the horse. It depends on the shape of the tree, and sometimes you find that the deep seat is achieved by making the tree "banana-shaped", which doesn't sit very kindly on the horse's back, which is actually in most cases relatively flat.

True. But one of my friends got a lovely arab who (totally contrary to most arabs I know) has a banana-shaped back :) It is very important to find panels that fit your horse! Do you have one of Heathers saddles, ros? (I am thinking about buying the Thorowgood-thingy next year.)

If you really are not sure or experienced with saddles, please contact a reputable saddler, who will ask questions about you and your horse - size, height, weight etc.

They will then bring a selection of saddles to try on your horse and watch you ride in them as well, to make sure the saddle fits BOTH of you.

This is ultimately the best way to buy a saddle - you also can return the saddle if you find it isn't suitable at any point.

Always best to be safe than sorry in this instance!

A useful rule of thumb is to use your hip-to-knee measurement to help determine your seat size. So, if for example, you have a 17" measurement, you should look at 17" saddles. Of course, this a just a rough guide, not a hard rule. And if in doubt, it's better to go slightly too big than too small. When you sit in a saddle, you should have enough room to place your hand flat both behind and in front of you at the same time.

Hi Thinkerbell -

Yes, banana-shaped trees for banana-shaped horses! Older horses with saggy backs can benefit, or those which are just naturally hollow-backed. It's all about fitting the right saddle to the right horse. (It's also about knowing what's inside your saddle!)

I do have a Heather saddle, and Merlin and I are both very happy with it. I was going to get a Thorowgood but Merlin turned out to be too wide even for the widest fitting, so he's got the leather version instead.

newrider.com