saddle slipping

noodle

May 29, 2007
Essex england
www.waggy-walkers.co.uk
I have ridden rosie twice now and both times I am findig the saddle is slipping down her back.
The girth feels quite tight yet within a few mins od sitting on her it looks{from where I am sitting on her] that the saddle is too far back.
Any suggestions please.
Rosie is a wide 15.3hh cob and its and elastic girth

Sorry to say this but did you have the saddle fitted by a professional saddler?
If not maybe its not the right fit for her. If the saddle came with her maybe its not been checked for awhile and it needs to be reflocked.

Cobs are notorious for this problem and its often difficult to get the 'right' saddle .

Hope you are both getting on well :D

Hi noodle :)

Of course you know about the benefits of getting the saddle checked. It may be that your saddle fitter can advise on the best bet for your horse.

My saddle fitter recommended a non slip numnah but this is because we have the oposite problem and Joy's addle comes forward cause she has a forward girth groove.

Glad to hear things are going so well with your new nedd though. Keep on posting updates as I always read them even if I don't post on your threads :)

Hello I've been having the same problem as you saddle slips back which if allowed to go so far back completly rotates:eek:...I had the saddler out friday he came back with my saddle today having reflocked it so its sitting better and I actually have contact now,but when I rode him with saddler it still slips back after 5mins he recommended a thorowgood numnah with speacial lining to prevent slipping a breast girth and a humane girth.Im going to pick up the numnah and the breast girth but not sure about the humane girth as Im worried about doing it up whilst on him and letting it slip resulting with me on the floor so Im going to try those out 1st fingers crossed will work,defenetly recommend getting saddler out good luck:D

Yep get it checked out. If your saddle is slipping back it may be resting on the loin area which will cause damage. You haven't said what style of saddle? Poss if a gp then it could be on the shoulder which is also causing it to slip as well and are the panels flat enough. You can push and pull a saddle as much as you like but does it still fit:confused::)Best of luck

I have the exact same problem with my first horse, Lady. I was in a canter and i landed under her. I asked a proffessional and i got told if i change the gullet to a smaller one, now i did and its better. So it might be that?
Hope i helped a tad. x

Maby you should change your girth to a non elasticated girth or get some grass reins to pull the saddle foeard also if it is slipping foward a cropper may help!

Has anybody tried the Thinline range from the USA? There are a selection of pads, which are definitely non slip

Thinline material moulds to shape for each horse, is 100% breathable, antifungal, long lasting (7-10 years), easy to care for, has great shock absorbing properties and does not move

The leather girths with Thinline material on the underside are just great- fanatstic quality and non slip

The girths are more expensive than other leather or neoprene, but well worth the extra cost

Pads are a similar cost to many other pads

I love mine and recommend them highly

Sue

Copperbeech Saddles
wwwcopperbeechsaddlescom

I'm not sure if you have a treed or treeless saddle but here are some suggestions...

Treed:
wrong tree shape for the back
Incorrect width
Try changing the elastic girth for a cord girth - ie Stubben Trevira
Try using a grip pad of some sort
It may be a combination of these to sort your problem out.

Treeless:
Change girth for a neoprene type without elastic - Stubben/Kieffer types are best
Use a grip pad
If a Barefoot style saddle then check that pommel width is suitable and not too narrow.
Try a different style of saddle.
Last resort... try a breatplate....

Hope that helps

I have ridden rosie twice now and both times I am findig the saddle is slipping down her back.
The girth feels quite tight yet within a few mins od sitting on her it looks{from where I am sitting on her] that the saddle is too far back.
Any suggestions please.
Rosie is a wide 15.3hh cob and its and elastic girth

newrider.com