Saddle Update

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Well I'm afraid it's bad news. Gracie continues to go well in the new saddle but unfortunately I don't find it comfortable at ALL. I have persevered for over 3 weeks now in the hope my nether regions would adjust, but the sad fact of the matter is that for me, the sharp rise to a high pommel chafes and rubs my lady parts to blisters and makes life very uncomfortable. I have tried varying my stirrup lengths but nothing has worked. My hacking buddy has the same saddle but is a skinny-minny and rides in an armchair seat so she is further back in the seat. I ride aligned and am "broad in the beam" so there is no escape. I did have extra memory foam in the seat but it is the seams for the stirrup skirts which rub and those obviously can't be padded. Plus, although I've had it custom-made, the v-shaped tree isn't right for Gracie and won't ever fit her closely enough, unfortunately.

I'm not a confrontational person so I'm building up to phoning Dave, but as I got a discount for cash and it isn't an off-the-shelf build, I suspect his answer will be "hard cheese".

Back to the drawing board. In the meantime, with no funds currently available, I've ordered some padded pants and for the foreseeable I am just going to have to stick to short pootles and no schooling.

Oh pants! are you riding at jumping length stirrups? as its a jumping saddle that may be the only way to get the balance in your seat to relieve down there. Did you get the flocking levelled up yet? if the saddle isn't sitting quite level that could also cause that issue.

Re the call to Dave, if the saddle doesn't fit Gracie I think you have more of an argument to have them do something about it, as the saddle was meant to have been built to fit her on a suitable tree and if it isn't then perhaps there is some argument that you haven't got what you were paying for. On the uncomfortable for you bit, I suspect your thoughts on what he will say will be accurate.

newrider.com