Saddle Woes

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Now that Gracie has lost around 100kg, it won't surprise you to hear that her saddle doesn't fit her any more. This is the lovely Silhouette one that I had custom-built for both of us and finally got, after the first lockdown last year, at the end of May. I have a new fitter after I lost faith in the lady I was using before. This guy is a master saddler, comes highly recommended and I had to wait 5 weeks just for the appointment. He spent two hours with us and was extremely thorough. He felt all the spinal processes along G's back and marked up the space available for a saddle with two round plasters, so it was instantly visible for the rest of the time.

My saddle has foam panels and is a fixed tree, but he reassured me that there are still things that can be done for these types of saddles, however it soon became clear that the front is now the wrong shape for G. Not only that, he's the first saddler in 4.5 years to tell me that she's very short-backed and that she can probably only take a maximum 16.5" saddle. He made me feel her spine and last rib to prove the plasters were in the right place (not that I disbelieved him anyway), so ever since I've owned Gracie, she's worn a saddle that's been too long! I'm trying to give the previous fitters the benefit of the doubt, on the basis that it might have been hard to feel for G's last rib when she was fat, but it potentially does make a few things make a lot more sense.

So the short version is that he's coming back in a fortnight with a few saddles that might fit us both.... but I might end up having to have ANOTHER saddle built for us both. He's confident he can fit my backside into a smaller saddle..... but I must admit I don't have his faith!

In the meantime, it's groundwork for Gracie then! 🙄

To be continued.....

Gosh @domane what an unpleasant surprise. I'm not astonished - both Ziggy and Sid have only just fitted into a 17" saddle and I think they would both have been more safely saddled in a 16.5. Sid is a big boy, but it seems that even quite big horses can be short backed. I'm glad you've found such a trustworthy saddler, though, they are like hens' teeth.

Such a shame that your beautiful custom saddle is not retrievable. What will you do with it?

Please keep us up to date with the options your saddler offers you. I can foresee that I might be in the same position with Sid if he ever loses the weight.

Oh Balls! how frustrating! You must be a bit devastated that your made to measure saddle no longer fits, but hopefully it will be relatively easy to sell 🤞 It sounds like you have found a good fitter now, it's amazing how many not so great ones there are who somehow have good recommendations

My experience of treeless saddles is that they are hard for short backed horses. Do you know of a short one?
Hogan (short backed and wide) could nt get on with the treeless - I was so disappointed, as it was so soft and comfy.

There's no guarantee with treeless fitting either - Pete's treeless saddle fitted in January but we're now struggling with it fitting after his weightloss.

Treeless saddles do need adjusting sometimes, but it’s usually a case of inserts in a saddlecloth, so easily done and much cheaper than buying new saddles.

I was very lucky to find a 16 inch Enlightened Equitation saddle, which are like gold dust.

They are not for everyone though, the lady currently riding Rosie for me doesn’t really like it, I think because you have to use core strength to keep yourself in the correct position, rather than relying on the saddle to put you there.

Rosie goes well in it though, and until I’m back riding myself, I won”t be replacing it.

Reactions: PePo
I can't get my treeless saddle to remain stable laterally at all the moment despite various different shims and shimming positions.

It doesn't help we have some tough terrain to negotiate- steep hills, ditches, fjords and low branches to avoid and Pete's not 100% symmetrical.

So I do think you have to factor in the whole picture.

His bareback pad doesn't move at all, nor does his treed saddle.

I love treeless saddles but I just don't think they are always the answer they are sometimes made out to be :)

Reactions: Huggy
Well well well.... the wonders of a second opinion.

Very short story is that it turns out Monday's fitter is NOT a master saddler (bad Janey for taking someone's word for it and not checking out his credentials) and a REAL MS has now advised that there isn't much wrong with G's saddle fit. The reason I had it checked in the first place is only because I thought G had some wither atrophy.... but the truth is that she just has better shoulder definition because of her weight loss. Oops.... rookie error! 😂

She's not had any soreness when checked by an osteopath and a deep tissue massage practitioner over the last two months. I lunged and then schooled her yesterday and she was foot-perfect and beautifully soft, so I don't think there's anything wrong to be honest.

All that stress for nothing!! 🤦

I'm buying her a VIP pad just to hopefully keep things optimum.

newrider.com