Saddler

karsteine

Apr 30, 2008
Northampton
Can anyone help me out, i'm trying to find a saddler that will re-flock my saddle at a descent price ive rang a few around my area but there wanting £60+ just to re-flock my saddle.
At that price i could end up buying a nearly new saddle, thing is i need it doing before i go hunting on boxing day as my saddle has lost flocking and starting to slip.
If anyone nows of a descent priced saddler in northampton and does a very good job then please let me know.

Yes, agree with Wally - if you get a much cheaper job then I suspect you aren't getting a 'reflock' more of a 'just poke a bit more in' job :)

£60 is about average for a saddler to come out to you and flock a saddle for you! I paid £58 the other day and all he did was see my horse...but he was very good! nothing needed doing with my saddle.

A saddler i know charges £45 ish call out fee, £20/£25 to check your saddle and £10 if it needs re-flocking. Is there a saddler near you that you can take your saddle to!??

I'd bite his hand off.

Do you know the work involved?

Last master saddler i had charged me £20 and showed me what he did, he also told me how much it cost's to buy the flock in.
I never faulted him at all as he always did a great job.

I was just wanting to drop it off and have it re-flocked like ive always done rather than having the saddler come out and do it.
Its like finding a needle in a haystack.

Flock is cheap as chips.....what did he show you as a matter of interest?

For what i remember my saddler placed my saddle upside down opened a small whole at the back of the saddle where the flock pannels are, used a tool (cant remember name) and slowly removed the old flocking which was naff stuff horrid yellow chunky stuff, like old pillow stuffing.
He showed me the flocking he use which white and fiber cottom stuff, it moulded to my horses back nicely, he use the tool to place the new flocking in the pannels and made sure it was evenly spread in the pannels he made sure that both pannels looked round but not lumped up smooth looking, after he made sure all flocking looked right he re-stitched the whole to make sure it was sealed.
Saddler only charged me £20 as he said flocking is cheap enough to get hold of, but that was when i lived in Walsall, i know live in Northampton and have notice price are a lot more here than they are up there.

We reflock with long-fibred pure wool which comes in a great long length. To get all the flocking out, we've had to completely unstitch the back, and front of the panels.

For £20, from us, you'd probably get your saddle unstitched and unflocked and nothing more ! Our nearest other saddle reflocker charges $375. Plus visit charge.

Not real sure I'd be buying a new used saddle for 60 british pounds either. I had no idea prices varied so much in such a little country !

Last edited:
Sounds a reasonable price to me too, bear in mind that Walsall is the capital of UK saddlery so what you might have got there isn't representative :)

Echo what Wally says, THERE'S alot of work invloved and to fit a saddle properly you need to see it back on the horse afterwards so you can adjust the flocking to the horse, if it is just dropped off and re flocked in the workshop and not seen back on the horse then you have no way of telling if it fits correctly, that is the professional way of doing it.
Oz

average price when I lived 4 miles from Walsall last year was £60+ for reflocking , more if they came to see pony first. Paul of Paul Jones charged £60ish to do his own brand for people. A lot of the walsall saddle makers wont touch another saddlemakers products its a sort of unwritten agreement in the industry and of course ensures they can set and keep prices high...cynical, moi ?never:D

Dont get me wrong i'm not being fussy but i'm a little shocked at how much re-flocking prices have changed in the last couple of years.
Well looks like i'm just going to have to put my money away and make an appointment with the guy who is charging half price at the mo, which is £60.
Might end up using some of the money my dad is sending me.
Thanks for all the help guy's.
P.s this guy comes out and makes sure everything is good for me and horse plus he used to work as a household cav saddler.

newrider.com