Saddles for big shouldered cobs?

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Have posted this in the tack section but never get much response there so (sorry mods!:D) hope someone on this bit might be able to help me?

Any of you got a cob type with big shoulders and have managed to find a saddle to fit???? Having real problems fitting JJ out with a saddle. Just tried today the Genesis synthetic with the medium wide gullet in and was perfect for the withers - but still far too tight on his shoulders? Do remember had this once before with a driving horse - think maybe if their main job has been driving it tends to overdevelop their shoulder muslces somewhat:confused:

So do i have to go to the expense of getting a saddle made to measure or has anyone else managed to solve the problem with a particular make?

Thanks all:D

I have an Ideal Ramsey for my big shouldered cob.
DSC01161.jpg

Native Pony Saddle Company saddles - good for my big shouldered Welsh D :)

Seconded.

Daffy has *massive* shoulders, and he is very broad. Nothing else that I tried came close. Daffy also has withers - he's not your typical flat backed native, just extremely chunky.

thanks all - shall now trawl the net bearing all that you have said in mind - trouble is - where I am it is difficult to get the choice you seem to have in the UK - and very nervous of ordering on line as not too confident in my measuring skills to be honest!

thanks again

I ended up with a Freeform treeless saddle as I couldnt get one to fit. He's not that heavy but his shoulders are huge.

Apparently Ideal will do a made to measure for this type of horse.

newrider.com