saddles for longer-legged riders

jaydales

Aug 14, 2008
I was wondering if i might be able to get some advice on saddles for my Dales. He's overheight at approx 15.1 and generally takes a 17.5" MW.

My problem is that i can't seem to find a saddle that fits both him and me, so i've always gone with what suits him better. But when i lift my stirrups up to jump my knees are always way over the knee rolls. I'm 5ft8, but most of my height is from hip to knee.

What do you think i should look into trying?

I was wondering if i might be able to get some advice on saddles for my Dales. He's overheight at approx 15.1 and generally takes a 17.5" MW.

My problem is that i can't seem to find a saddle that fits both him and me, so i've always gone with what suits him better. But when i lift my stirrups up to jump my knees are always way over the knee rolls. I'm 5ft8, but most of my height is from hip to knee.

What do you think i should look into trying?

have you looked at dressage saddles, when i was going to buy my saddle(barefoot) they had said a dressage one may not suit me as i'm short as the flaps are longer, not sure if that applies to treed saddles though:confused::)

I know that problem well :D Only my knees tend to be off the front of the saddle with normal length stirrups, never mind jumping length! It sounds like you need something more forward cut. It isn't the length of the flaps that are causing the problem - it's the distance from seat to knee roll. The problem with that is that native ponies don't tend to suit very forward cut saddles :rolleyes:

You could also try something with quite a flat seat if you haven't already, as you'd be able to sit a little further back. Some deep seated saddles really push you quite a long way forward.

I'd also pay a lot of attention to where the stirrup bars are placed. Anything where they are forward that sits you in a chair seat will magnify the problem.

Big knee rolls may also help to keep your leg a bit further back and may give you a better feel of security, allowing you to keep slightly longer stirrups.

Thanks for the replies. I think i'll try looking out for something with a flatter seat to see how we get on :D

newrider.com