Safety stirrups

crazy horse

Oct 16, 2001
Visit site
I'm planning to buy some , and was wondering which are better.
The ones that open , or the ones where the outside of the stirrups are sort of bent.
I'm leaning toward the ones that open , because they seem safer.

What kind do you have? What do you like or don't like about them?

Crazy horse.

Hi!

I assume you mean the stirrups with the rubber band on the outside. If so, those stirrups are only meant to be used by children (who dont weigh much - in general). The extra weight of an adult (again no offence meant!) is said to put too much stress on the stirrup because the 'bit you put your foot on' is only supported on one side, so in theory is weaker.

However, i know adults who have use them and have never had any problems.

I dont have any experience with the bent leg irons though.

I don't mean the childrens stirrups.
Those are adult stirrups , look like regular stirrups;only the sides open if you fall.

How much weight do you think they can take(the childrens stirrups?)They are definitely cheaper than the adult ones.
But then again I ridden in them once and felt that the rubbers were stretching , so I guess I'm too heavy.

Crazy horse.

I prefer just plain fillis stirrups, or the ones w/ the flexy joints...i have the safety stirrups w/ the rubberbands, but the rubberbands constantly fall off while im riding (i am a kid..well, i weigh 90 lbs. ) so i use my reg. stirrups

As Kaz has said the rubber band ones(peacocks I think but don't hold me to that)are for children or very light weight adults.There was a letter in one of the magazines a while back saying that the actual metal part had broken on these type of stirrups when they had been used by an adult.I use the bent ones and find them ok,well haven't had any probs with them.

I've heard that the bent ones take a bit of getting used to, although I haven't used them myself.

If you can afford it, those stirrups with the joints on both sides that move every which way (I think they are made by Sprenger) are supposed to be really comfy and quite safe.

Tasha

I have the bent leg stirrups (also called Aussie safety stirrups and are probably the same as the ones that Wally uses). I really like them and didn't have any problems getting used to them, wouldn't go back to normal ones now.

I know of one instructor in the area who doesn't like to teach jumping with them. I'm not sure why though. No-one else seems to object and quite a few people on the yard other than myself use them.

Shop around though, mine cost £18 but I've seen them priced from £15 to £25!

Amanda

I could buy the bent(aussie) stirrups for 70$ or for 17$ the same cheap ones (Canadian).
I wonder why you couldn't jump in them?
I still dont know which one I'll buy,But it will probably be the one on sale:D.Does anybody have a spare that you dont need anymore?:D:D:DJUST kidding.

Crazy horse.

I have the bent stirrups also - I couldn't get used to them at first but they are ok now!

You may find your foot turns and goes parallel with the tread - I used to have this problem but once you get used to them this isn;t a problem.

Hope you find ones that are cool for you!

Nicola

newrider.com