Sam & Opal's Blog

sammyantha

Jan 2, 2007
Derbyshire
So if you've been following any of my threads (Goddess help you!), you'll know that my mare has been out on loan for the best part of last year. I loaned her out because a) I didn't have time enough to spend with her and b) when I did have time, I wasn't doing anything productive.. i just lost motivation.

But my girl comes back to me on the 29th of this month and I am excited beyond words:bounce: I still don't have very much time, but the last year (and especially the last month which has been very up and down not knowing if i was getting her back or if they were keeping her) has made me remember how I felt as a a little horse-less girl (no money to buy until i was 25) when I said "When I get a horse I'm going to spend 24 hours a day with it, and love it forever!" *cough, cough...*:redface:

As posted in the thread about goals for 2011, when I get my horse back I want to:
Find a new yard
Start riding lessons again (No matter how embarrassing i find them)
Start dressage training
Do some low level comps
Re-establish/ establish a bond with my horse
Make time for her and spend that time productively
Keep up my motivation and form new goals to work towards

As of today I have found a wonderful yard, complete with on-site comps, trailblazers, BHS course instruction, training days, riding school, and lovely hacking :bounce: Move day has been booked for Saturday 29th.

WEEK 1 & 2 (THIS WEEK AND NEXT)
GOALS:
1) Sort old rugs into piles and list on ebay or chuck
2) Get current rugs cleaned and re-proofed
3) Organize all tack, equipment, rugs etc that isn't needed daily so that it's ready to go
4) Write list for new yard (our vet, insurance, emergency contact no's, feed instructions etc)
5) Stock up on wormer, feed, and garlic powder
6) Buy new headcollar and leadrope set
7) Clean travel set

Hmm I'm sure there's more i need to do before we move but can't think now....

WEEK ONE AT NEW YARD
GOALS:
1) Spend at least 2 hours per night for the first week, just being with her, grooming, playing, fussing
2) Walk the grounds in-hand
3) Have our first riding lesson

Here's to new starts:biggrin::showoff:

We move next Saturday - one week to go!!!!!!!:bounce:

Bit of a mad dash trying to get a horsebox sorted. Now I realize I need a new wheelbarrow too as the wheel is knackered on mine - or can you just replace the wheels, anyone know??

Excited :spin:

Oh deary me! Been to look at the new yard again today and realised just how little turnout my girl is going to get in winter (if any) :( This will double my bedding and hay bill, added to which i'll already be paying through the nose on petrol as it's far away from home, and i don't want her fed up and hungry. So I think it's a no go. Crap, that leaves me only a week to sort out somewhere for my girl to live.. i also don't have transport yet :cold::unsure:

Going to look at another of the yards tomorrow that I'd already discounted from before. I REALLY hope this turns out to be perfect.

newrider.com