Sasa is Dead

That is TERRIBLE news, D&T. I am SO very sorry, sweetheart. You gave yourself one hundred and ten percent to that gorgeous girlie... no-one could have done any more than you.

HUGE hugs at this bloody awful time. XXXXX

I'm so very sorry - I can't find the right words, sorry just doesn't seem enough.

You did everything you could for her, more than most people would, & still had the courage & grace to let her go when it became clear there was no kind way to let her continue. You are the best kind of owner there is & Ijust wish you didn't have to hurt like this.

Sleep tight Sasa x

So sorry DMT, at least she's no longer in pain.. You did what you could, I certainly couldn't have coped with what you've been through with Sasa..

Sweet dreams Sasa XX

What you did was the right thing, the most horrible thing you will ever have to do as a horse owner, but brave, loving and caring.

Go and raise a glass to departed friends, and do not, for one minute think you could have done more. I salute you for all you did for her.

^^^^ this, I'm so sorry D&T.

RIP Sasa xx

Oh I am so sorry, you did all you could, and gave her one last gift of a pain free and dignified end. Thinking of you, RIP big beautiful girl. X

So very very sad to read this, you did all you could possibly have done and more besides, she had companionship, love and dignity in your care.
I wish there was more I could say that would ease the pain you must be feeling, she sounded such a cheeky mare right to the end and she'll be very much missed. I hope you're ok and have family with you...be gentle with yourself.

thank you all, i have had a copious amount of red wine but still the tears come

she was my soulmate. she had so much hope invested in her and she was generous, kind, cunning but so so safe, i never felt threatened by her, despite her size and strength, she never used it against me. i have rose and molly but she was the one.

i can't square the brave mare with her ears pricked standing at the vets, full of life, with the test results saying useless, hopeless. I begged them for just a sliver of hope and they could give me none. it seemed sacrilegeous to kill a horse who looked so well, so full of life apart from a very gammy leg and a useless prognosis

she was only 10. her whole bloody life ahead of her. i just see her ears, her eager little face.

the sad thing is the injury was probably a kick, and the one who probably did it was her adopted son leo. no how sick is that.

You don't know for sure what or who caused the injury. Try not to fill in the blanks in your mind. That way you don't have to feel anger towards another horse -which may be unjustified in the first place. Things happen. I am sorry it had to happen to you and Sasa. :(

YOU DID NOT KILL HER!

You let her have a graceful and dignified end, Death is not cruel, it's the long slow horrible process that is the worst thing. You allowed her to leave with a happy face and not a long sad decline.

You poor thing. You gave her the best of chances. No horse could have been better cared for. And you did the right thing at the end. Huge respect. Xxx

You weighed the situation... to live would she would never have had been completely pain free.. when I watched the video you posted, you could see just how much of a struggle she was having (It moved me to tears and still is), despite your best efforts, she was starting to flounder.. Horses are good at masking pain, they have to in order to survive.. letting her go now, means you've set her free..
XXX

D&T my heart sank when I read your post, for both of you. You are probably the single most brave equine owner I know, you are so strong for all your animals and Sasa was no exception. From the minute you got her, you gave her everything, and continued to do so until the last. When she needed you most, to make a decision that she couldn't, you were so so so brave.

It must have been so hard to see her looking so hopeful but to know that you had to let her go. But with the prognosis, you could not have done anymore for her.

Please take care of yourself as this will have been so hard on you.

HorsePrayer.jpg

YOU DID NOT KILL HER!

You let her have a graceful and dignified end, Death is not cruel, it's the long slow horrible process that is the worst thing. You allowed her to leave with a happy face and not a long sad decline.

This, this, and this again ........ Better a day too soon, than a day too late, better to go with a happiness, than to be miserable and in pain. Do not beat your self up over this please, i only wish i could make the heart ache go away for you.

newrider.com