Sasa is Dead

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Sasa was down on the yard when we went up to get them in, she does lie down in the field, but given it was teatime she would normally be up and standing at the door, desperate to come in.

Nor did she get up, while i put all the buckets in etc. Instead I had to go with a bucket of food to try to tempt her to try to get up.

When she got to her feet, she was hardly able to move. Took ten minutes for her to stagger very unsteadily into her stable. She was very very scared to use either front leg, and was very wobbly.

She has eaten up well but was cold as she had been lying on the cold frosty yard. She is going to hospital on Sunday afternoon, I think i will keep her in and maybe put her in Aimee's deep litter to give her more support as Aimee is quite well.

Manure. This is what i have been dreading happening.

Last edited:
Sorry to read this D&T - it's been very cold here today and I think it's caught a few of us with either old or injured horses off guard

I really feel for you and Sasa x

Oh no D&T, its so worrying. I hope it's just a very cold day that made things feel a bit too stiff but I'd have her in as well now. Still keeping everything crossed for Sasa.

So sorry to read this D&T - as you say just what you dreaded happening. Hopefully she will feel more able to move freely when she warms up in the stable and the feed should help too. Everything crossed for her.

It has been super cold, and it could just be that it got into her bones a bit quicker because she has been under the weather.

I`m sure with a deep litter bed, plenty of forage and some rest she`ll warm through and pick up again. I`m as stiff as an old croc today, clicking when i walk and in pain ... the cold can really get to us.

Thinking of you x

the weather here is no worse than it has been - i am trying to see if the vets can take her tomorrow not monday - i am off to give her some danilon and see how she is in the morning

Poor Sasa :(

Its really not fair that shes going through this :( Such a gorgeous horse and all the plans you had for the pair of you then an unknown infection causes her to end up like this.

Poor Lass, such a short story about her and after all she has been through before finding you D&T. If a horse is not wanting to get up and is in such discomfort it might be kinder to end her pain. Fingers crossed that the vets can help her though.

(((Hugs))), whatever happens I know that you have her best interests at heart & have tried everything possible. You have nothing to blame yourself for - you've followed your vet's advice every step of the way & no-one could fault your care of her.

I really hope she makes it, God knows the pair of you deserve a break. Thinking of you both & sending lots of love & healing x

So sorry to read this D&T

You and Sasa have been through such a lot together, really hoping she makes it.

Know you will do what is best for her.

I am so saddened to read this, D&T. As a fellow Comtois-owner (well, "part" in Arthur's case!) I feel a special afinity to Sasa. I really hope this ISN'T the beginning of the end.

What ever happens tomo DMT, we all know you've done your best.. she hasn't been right for a long time now, but for now keep on fighting for her until you've exhausted all options, or she tells you enough's enough.. Hugs to you XX

oh D&T :(
I opened your thread with my heart in my throat. This is what you were dreading too, finding her down and unable to get up again :(
You've done so much for this lovely (I want to say litle but she's big) girl, persevered and nursed her without fail throughout. This may not be the beginning, just a blip in what has been a long steady hill. If it isnt, then so be it, you've done far far FAR more than most owners I know.
More courage required, more worries to manage. Huge hugs to you x

newrider.com