Sasa is Dead

thank you

the sky is crying for her today, gentle snowflakes as soft and gentle as my little sasa

i know i did all i could, given the information i had, i just have a horrible big hole where my heart should be

there is a 5 year old comtois mare, suzie, going for slaughter next week. do i don't i.

Your first line moved me to tears yet again :cry: - I have been thinking of you a lot today. You certainly were THE best owner Sasa could have wished for - always remember that please. Don't be hard on yourself xx

As for Suzie, as others have said, only you can answer that - but if it was me I know I definately WOULD. Some of my most faithful and loyal 'friends' are ones I have saved from dire situations and there has never been one I could or would have walked away from at the time and never ever regretted having them for however long they were us (always for the rest of their lives.)

Lovely pics of Sasa. Big hugs, keep your chin up D&T

Helen xx

I don't even know what to say. I have unfortunately been in this situation myself, and the pain I felt when I had to let my mare go was just indescribable. My thoughts are with you, and things will be okay... xxx

Oh lord that's a bit of a blow,and I am so,so sorry to hear it.

You did all you could and above and beyond what many would have done,take heart from that and I hope it brings you some small comfort to you when you are feeling down.

Holding all good thoughts possible for you at this difficult time.

so sorry to hear of your loss, give yourself time to reflect and grieve, time heals, you gave her everychance and in the end you fulfilled the responsibility you had for her - she will always be with you

I have only just seen this, so sorry to hear about you losing Sasa, she was such a gorgeous girl and you did the very best you could for her. At least she had a life of luxury whilst in your care.

Big hugs hun xxxxx

thank you

the sky is crying for her today, gentle snowflakes as soft and gentle as my little sasa

i know i did all i could, given the information i had, i just have a horrible big hole where my heart should be

there is a 5 year old comtois mare, suzie, going for slaughter next week. do i don't i.

Yes you should and i totally agree with eml's words! You are one special lady!

done the next hard bit, rugs out of car, including the one covered in her sweat - she always was very piggy...it's in the wash to freshen it up!

Spent a bit of time with Leo, he is caked in poo, so did a scissor job to remove some of his mats, will see if i can get near him with clippers but seriously doubt it. But he was good, tied up on the yard, with me snipping under him and elbows and quarters, compared to the woose he was when he came here and you couldn't get near him for love or money. He is very brattish now, pain in the neck, needs to be broken in this year and do something for a living.

So sorry to hear about Sasa d&t. It must have been a hard struggle for you both. Run free gentle mare x

All these steps you have to take now must feel so, so hard. Thinking of you. Times does heal, and one day the grief will be less raw. (((((hugs)))

I have always found that when you lose a special horse another special one that needs you finds you, perhaps Suzie has found you. She will never be Sasa but she will be special in a different way.

Absolutely agree. I believe that Kelly sent Sham to me when she knew I was ready.

When Sasa sends you the right horse, you'll just know.

So sorry for you at this sad outcome. You had done such a wonderful job of nursing her and this was a very cruel twist of fate. Like the others have said you saved her from the meat man and she had so much love and care in the time you had her. Moving a big heavy horse like her with laminitis could have been a disaster in its self you did the best you could for her. Hugs.

Well done for getting on with the next step. It's such a hard thing to do. When my very first horse had to be PTS and her head was resting on my lap, I felt the whole world crumble beneath me, a feeling I could never describe went through me that night. (I can never smell Canter coat shine again because it reminds me so much of her, that it made me physically sick once!)

But you must always remember that our role as horse owners/carers, is to do what's best for them - and as sad as it is, sometimes, what's best is to let them go. You go through what could have been and what if you had done this or that, but the truth is, everyone has their time - and this was Sasa's. She will be smiling down on you and be thanking you, for being given the best life possible. :smile: xx

Nothing to add really. Had a little cry for you and Sasa both in bed last night after OH had turned over and nodded off. At the time I was planning lots of 'helpful' comforting things to say but it all seems a bit artificial.

Hopefully knowing that we are all thinking of you will help a little. Don't you DARE beat yourself up about not keeping promises to her, woman. Horses don't hear promises, they just hear your loving voice - there through all your long battle with her, and there at the end. Respect.

Whenever in the future you hear a distant roll of thunder you'll know it's big bear Sasa galloping with friends over rainbow bridge ........................

I have always found that when you lose a special horse another special one that needs you finds you, perhaps Suzie has found you. She will never be Sasa but she will be special in a different way.
Oh I TOTALLY agree with this! For example, this very weekend last year, I'd sent Roo off to a lovely new loaner mummy on the Saturday and came home to look for a short, fat, hairy pony to loan. Someone pointed me in Jack's direction (as you are probably aware he was very underweight and not a happy-chappy at ALL) Dom's reaction to Jack's photo on the PC is now also well-documented but in case you didn't know - my normal laid-back, placid OH(who lets all things "horse" wash over him) saw Jack and veritably INSISTED that we go to see him.... Dom is not an assertive man either! A year ago tomorrow saw us trudge halfway across the country for me to try a strange horse in winds so strong you had to lean into them to stop yourself going over.... and he was delivered 48 hours later. One year on, he's filled out, he's happy, compliant and has a totally different frame of mind.... even Mr Poohsmate will confirm this.

Now if THAT isn't a case of Jack finding US... then I don't know what is.

newrider.com