Sat waiting for the vet

I wondered about the bulk. Hopefully my canvas boot will arrive tomorrow. It's my back up.

My very experienced horsey friend swears by nappies. Ziggy needed newborn size.
That's what it says to get.
I am just thinking with the mess I am making I will run out of very wrap again!
And nappies might be simpler to handle.

Today I did a square of vet wrap over the poultice and waited for the window of opportunity to put it on. Have you ever tried a lift a leg on a horse that just ignores you. I don't blame her, you've just had my hoof to take all that stuff off.
Eventually she decides okay you can have it. So I then carry on with the vet wrap round the hoof since she has stomped it back down, she's not exactly a fan of wet is she!
I am slightly lame since she managed to flick her knee into my leg at some stage.
Its not coming off since I have loads of tape.
I did glance at ebay for a cheap hoof boot as I would add that to triple make sure my work doesn't fall off.

@Huggy yours might actuality have taken his off. I had a gelding that would nibble bandages, things stayed on until his curiosity got the better of him!
He used to remove fly masks as well off his companions if they asked.
Yes it can be fiddly when you are on your own. Much easier with two people - one to hold the leg and pop the Animalintex or whatever you are using on and one to pass things.

I have never got to grips with the nappy. It just makes it too bulky and sticks out for them to catch.

She's sporting a new look. I got the scissors out, it will grow back and it does mean the tape isn't getting wrapped over it.
She was good to do today,maybe because a bit of pampering in her eyes first. Just don't give her a mirror!

collage-1685111831013.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Jessey
That is an interesting look. Are you leaving the small pig tail behind?! It is good to have a hair cut or trim, makes things grow back nicer and thicker lol lol
I am sure her feathers will be glorious again at some point. Well, least it is only the one.

That is an interesting look. Are you leaving the small pig tail behind?! It is good to have a hair cut or trim, makes things grow back nicer and thicker lol lol
I am sure her feathers will be glorious again at some point. Well, least it is only the one.
I took the pig tail out. I just got what was long enough to go into it and shortened the rest so I can see what I am doing.
The black hair has never grown as thick as the otherside. It might now then.

As predicted the forecast out there is not pleasant so I am updating this thread so I can find it.
I am going to chit chat, so you don't need to join in if you don't feel like it.
I will try not argue with myself 😂

So, 10 months on we have progressed to riding if she's comfortable, leading out where ever we feel like, a very wet winter has meant we haven't felt like it and haven't really ridden much either.

(Actually thinking about my other thread on making dumb decisions I do believe I have found the third one when I took her down the moors and fell off cos she'd not been ridden for months)

I lunged her briefly yesterday in walk doing our usual big oblong.
She jumped a wet patch and I didn't worry. I have seen her doing numerous shapes and moves in the field.

The thing with laminitis, regardless of the cause, what the books don't tell you, what the vet doesn't tell you, what the farrier doesn't tell you-there is no definitive way of doing things because each case is individual and you can only look at what's in front of you and go with that.

She's still got 1/4 inch of old growth to grow down. I am keeping my eyes on it as it's at the toe. I think the old wall growth wants to pull away, and the new wall growth wants to attach. The experts in farriery and laminitis can't agree on what happen inside the hoof, so they won't agree on how to deal with it!!

They also don't tell you that will you will likely have a horse out of work for a year, and you will be spending that year doing rehab.

Next post is some pics of now.
What has happened is I have been doing this for so long I keep saying six months, but actually it's ten 😂

collage-1709844067406.jpg

Two weeks after farrier visit.
I can see a little bruise where the old growth meets the new growth.
This hoof is the weight bearing one so it's always appeared better.
It has lost its bull nose when things went out of alignment.
I need better weather to get the underneath.

The bad hoof.
This is the one that had the infection and lami. I can still see numerous stress lines and this one still has a big dip.

As I took the photo on a slight hill, you can see the inner wall or the sole. Least I think that's what I am looking at, the more look at her hoof and read up on it, the less I know! 🤔

The farrier hasn't touched any excess sole that she's put down to protect herself. He only removed the excess from the heel last month as she's got a lovely depth there and it's grown down attached.
collage-1709844021828.jpg

There's so many things to worry about atm with this bloody weather. I think you've mentioned all three on my "alert" list. Ground continuously soggy - soft soles = worries 1 and 2 - bruising (Hogan's very tender on the gravel), and the possibility of abcess shoots up. Worry 3, the grass is crazy green and lush = my biggest fear - laminitis.

If you want my advice fwiw, get boots or shoes on those fronts.

Tender on gravel is a red flag. It can mean as you've said, soft soles due to the wet. But, those are now at risk of bruising. Especially if he's also got flat hooves.

I was given a list of warning signs and the warning signs can build up over a year before the horse or pony gets tipped over the edge. Any horse or pony, none of them are immune.

She had flat soles, but her backs are showing concavity which I haven't ever seen before. Will be interested to see what her fronts end up looking like.

I would hate anyone to go through what we've been dealing with.
So my only advice, boot or shoe, don't leave bare.

Reactions: Huggy
If a horse is footy my first reaction wouldn’t be to boot or shoe. I’d review diet, excess can be an issue but deficiencies can also impact hoof quality and resiliency. I would also look at regular maintenance routine, my guys feet recently started to go a bit soft but a few applications of sole paint has done wonders at hardening them up again.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m an advocate of booting or shoeing as necessary, but it isn’t the only thing to consider if they’re sore.

Reactions: Huggy
Hogan's front shod, normally there's no problem, the farrier said just about every horse he does is footy atm.

Reactions: Jessey
There are a lot of horses throwing abscesses in my area, the unrelenting wet ground makes feet soft and also brings more flints to the surface making a perfect recipe for bruises and abscess.

If a horse is footy my first reaction wouldn’t be to boot or shoe. I’d review diet, excess can be an issue but deficiencies can also impact hoof quality and resiliency. I would also look at regular maintenance routine, my guys feet recently started to go a bit soft but a few applications of sole paint has done wonders at hardening them up again.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m an advocate of booting or shoeing as necessary, but it isn’t the only thing to consider if they’re sore.

Absolutely ditto this.

Shoeing or booting for new footiness can be one of the most dangerous things to do I think . All you are essentially doing in my opinion is kicking the can further down the line when it may not be so easy to deal with and I've never seen it end well, sadly.

As well as all of what Jessey has said, I'd also get the vet out to check feet, potentially X-ray and run bloods for EMS/PPID first.

I do boot but for new footiness I'd want to investigate before booting or shoeing.

The weather has made it particularly challenging this year for soft feet, abscesses and netabolic stuff though!

Edited: for auto correct using wrong words and spelling errors.

Last edited:
newrider.com