Saying goodbye

So sorry to hear about your mare. You should be proud of the life you have given her and the fun times and special moments you have shared.

She is lucky to have her owner there so she can see someone who loves her unconditionally until her last moment.

I hope all goes smoothly and will be thinking of you, I will never forget how hard it was to have my boy put to sleep but I was thankful of every moment we had together. Yes it will be hard but it will get easier with time and with love and support of friends and family.

Have a good cry and let it all out hun, thinking of you lots xxxxx

Only just read this, I really feel for you, it is such a hard thing to do and you are very brave to make this decision. It does get easier with time, just remember that you did the right thing at the right time for Kestrel.

Thinking of you both.

Im so sorry. I'll be thinking of you today. I bet your mare had a lovely life and has many memories.
RIP Kestrel.
My thoughts are with you. xxx

So sorry to hear what you are going through, but well done for being strong and making the decision. R,I,P Kesteral and big hugs for you. Remamber all the good times.

Couldn't read and not post.

Letting go is the bravest and most noble thing you can do for your animals, it is incredibly painful for us but for them it is a merciful release.

Thinking of you, hope you'll feel better soon.

Zayna xx

PS... Bach's Rescue Remedy and Kalms will do you good for a few days xx

while it is very very sad that you have had to make the decision that her quality of life is no longer as good as you feel it needs to be to let her continue, try to see it as a priviledge to be there to see her on her final journey.

you are there to pamper her, give her treats, comfort her, make sure she is calm, unstressed - she doesn't know what is going to happen, try to think of it that she is having her annual jab and concentrate on having her as relaxed as you can.

i had one pts after he broke a hock and it was very quick and peaceful, he just sank to his knees and lay down. you are the person she knows and trusts so it is your job to make it as easy for the vet to do the mechanics of it - by keeping kestrel focussed on you, food, just being petted. if the owner can be there and be strong for the horse, it makes it easier as they hear a familiar voice, touch as they leave us. as an owner, i feel this is the ultimate responsibility and one that you should never shirk.

have a good cry afterwards and a strong drink. clear out her stable, and her things, and expect to feel bloody awful for a long time to come, but it does get easier as time goes on.

really sorry that this has to be done, but you have to think would it be fair to put her through another winter? best a day too soon than a day too late.

Ditto everybody else- as i always say the hardest thing is that us humans choose to love our friends, all my thoughts with you, stay strong

I had to make this decision for Rambo in May. He was also 26 ... I'd had him for 16 years and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do. It still hurts every day, but at least I know I gave him the ultimate kindness in the end and didn't let him duffer. I held him during the injection and went down with him as he fell. It was all so swift and peaceful and the ending he deserved after so many years of loyalty.

(((HUGS)))

As for coping: lots of memories, tears, howling, laughter ... Let you heart take you where it needs to be and don't hold back on the grief.

*Hugs*

Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't be feeling low because of it, they don't know anything. You're incredibly strong for making this decision, all my best to you.

Thank you so much everybody. Your kind comments are lovely.
The sun was shining this morning. I gave her a big feed with lots of treats, groomed her & trimmed some of her tail hair to keep. Lots of hugs & a big kiss just before it happened.
Went down with her as she fell & stroked her for a few minutes. It was dignified & i'm glad that i was able to let her go before she started to suffer.
Had to go to work soon after, just went about my chores in a daze & was tearful but i think that was better than going home.
Have cried buckets but i know it was for the best. Could never have let her go downhill, wanted to remember her as vibrant & naughty. She was beginning to struggle getting up from rolling so i knew it was time.
Now she runs free...

So glad the sun was shining. It sounds very dignified and I'm sure you're glad you were with her at the end. Don't know how you managed to go to work - I know I wouldn't be that brave. Big hugs. xx

newrider.com