scabby horse - rain scald??

connieD

Aug 9, 2006
my mare has some scabby areas on her back, not too bad, not weeping, not sore - just when groomed small tuffts of winter coat come out with black scabby bits on it. the summer coat appears to be left behind so does not leave a completely bald area.

any ideas, when i feel this area it feels scabby then once its been brushed off it just feels like normal skin with slightly 'thinner' hair coverage of the area.

i was thinking possibly mild rain scald but how???she lives out but has been rugged since the begging of the winter last year. shes not been rugged whilst wet at any point. she has not yet been turned out without her rug this year.

any ideas for treatment - cant really wash the area as she wont stay in the stable for it to dry:eek: would have to be a cream of some sort!! or should i just leave well alone and keep grooming:D

I would suggest sponging off the areas with a damp sponge and putting on a fungus spray. I’ve done this in the past when it is not quite warm enough to wash and it has worked great! Let me know if this helps~

If in doubt, you can spray with oil and sulfur (2 tbs sulfur in a quart of mineral oil). Keep the horse out of direct sunlight for three days and then rinse the oily gunk off. It will be cured but it looks yukky in the meantime. They can get rain rot and yukky stuff any time, even with the best management. You do your best to reduce the risk, but they can still get it !

If she is likely to toon around and get sweaty or has a rug under her turnout this could cause rain scald, this is how I thought nelson got it last year but it appears he is starting with it again so it might just be something that happens when he sheds his coat.

How long have you had your mare? I am having Nelson clipped next winter to see if that helps.

that's exactly what my boy had for ages, couldnt get rid of it and it was affecting him- kind of senstive on the scabby bits and if you pulled them off took large clumps of hair with them- spread all along his back.

i washed him with Tea Tree shampoo a couple of months ago and then put on some stuff called "D itch ointment"- like a gloopy yellow ointment and they've all gone and havent come back so far.(touch wood). so i dont know if it was the shampoo or ointment that worked. i also put him on oilivite supplement as it's supposed to be good for coats so could also have been that that worked.

newrider.com