Scabby Scabs

mikh

Jan 3, 2008
My mare has mud fever (sorta) :( left over scabs from before she came to me, they are now giving off a bit of heat. I know the thing to do is remove the scabs, hibi etc etc but she won't let me near them - she's a bit leggy as it is and I really don't want to push it as I don't want to make the situation (the kicking) worse as I always take it at her pace when picking feet etc.

So would twitching or picking up opposite leg work? or would ACP be an idea - I hate sedating unless necessary, but I don't want her to kick my head off or stress her.

Anyone else had this prob? I couldn't even get at it with purple spay. She's not lame but I imagine it's a bit uncomfortable for her - and want to be a responsible horse owner lol :)

As you can imagine, picking the scabs off will be very painful for your horse, so please don't think about twitching in order to do this as you may well end up with a horse who doesn't want you anywhere near her legs or feet!

I know lots of people use remedies without the need to pick off the scabs. Have a look at the link below as the Aromaheel stuff is really effective and lasts for ages, and doesn't rely on having to get the scabs off. I think everyone has their own favourite remedy.

http://www.aromesse.com/pages/aromaheel.htm

newrider.com