Scabby skin under clipped neck?

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
Appley is partially clipped - the neck was last taken off about 5 weeks ago. today I discovered she has scabby bits on the underside of her neck. I picked at them a bit and they came off taking the hair with them (euww!).
What is this?! it's only under her neck on a clipped bit, I prodded the rest of her - all fine and not scabby (she gets bad SI in the summer, I'm quite in err tune with her skin and what it looks and feels like).

will deosect in the week just in case, but a bit baffled as to the location of the scabs and why they'd show up in a clipped bit (def not a hot or sweaty part of her body either)? allergic to clipper oil at the time maybe?!

not daft at all, this is Appley we're talking about after all - she loves nothing better than sticking her head in/through/over fences :redface:

doesn't look like a fence 'injury' or rub though, the scabby area is too big and runs along under her neck. she's also been in full neck rugs so couldn't/shouldn't have been able to make direct contact with any wood, wire etc. the whole area feels knobbly ...

Could it be just a sweat rash type of thing that's got a bit bobbly? Just wondered if the temperature has come up and all that?

Swelling?

Madam swells and the fluid goes through her skin in this fashion. Her hair also falls off in this fashion but that doesn't help you!!

Could it be a protein rash - or are you not feeding any hard feed?

Had a horse two yards ago that had this and vet said protein rash.

interesting one about the buckles! the rug is the only 'new' thing in the mix! not sure what they're made of, its a cheapie Derby House own brand jobby.

dont think its feed related as I guess she'd be getting it all over and feed has not changed in a long time (only 'hard' she is getting is a handful of fibre cubes).

Julia

The buckles on the derby house rug I had rusted pretty quickly. I'm not sure what they are made of. Perhaps it'd be worth keeping them covered (wrap a bit of bandage round each one after it has been done up) so they can't get into contact with the skin, slap a bit of cream on the scabs and see if that helps. It does sort of sound a bit like a reaction to something.

newrider.com