Scabs..?

Sophie..*

Oct 6, 2007
Warks.
Iv noticed today that in dougies dip near the withers he has a kinda tear-drop shape, and its all scabby. I had a bit of a scracth today and it was all scabby and it was bleeding a tad. So i gave it a wash with some hibiscrub and then washed it again with warm water.

What could this be..?

Could be anything really....he could have caught it on something, or rubbed it, or it could be an infected insect bite.......is there any sign of him rubbing his tail, rest of his mane?? Is it weepy?

If you have never noticed anything like that before chances are its nothing to worry about too much, but keep an eye on it as it could I guess be sweetitch.

Sounds like you have treated it correctly anyway. Maybe just a bit of cream or extra flyspray around the area to keep the flys/midges away.

I agree with "learning curve" It sounds like rainscald, is he stabled or in a field 24/7? if he's in a field, try making sure that he has a shelter to stand in if the weather gets bad, if he rolls and has mud on his back, try brushing or grooming it off as soon as you can, cleaning the sore once a day untill it has cleared will do him good. hope all goes well :)

newrider.com