Scared to canter

proudmummy

Jun 9, 2011
On my private lesson on Friday and on the group hack yesterday both instructors felt that I should try a canter. I am petrified (bad memories from long ago). On both occasions (different horses) I didn't manage more than a very fast trot. Deep down I know that this is because I am scared so wasn't trying hard enough to give the right signals to the horses. You are all so kind, I'm hoping that you can give me some good advice again. xxx

Gosh, you are not the only one!

After I got Ziggy we did not canter (on purpose - except when he tanked off with me ha ha) for more than 9 months. I just didn't feel brave enough.

Plenty of people on this forum don't canter much. There is even a Canter Club for those who have got there! So you are not alone.

I would say, "Don't push it, wait until you are ready and WANT to canter". Then you'll more likely give the right aids to the horse, and everything will be easy and enjoyable.

But I am sure you will get loads of other replies!

Just aim for a few strides and then back to trot until you feel comfortable. If your on a RS horse my guess is the horse wont particularly want to canter anyway they can be lazy so n so's so slowing them down is usually the easy bit!
Good luck though i remember years ago when i first cantered even though it was only down longside I was petrified of getting to the corner..
I still remember that but eventually was begging RIt to let me go all the way round lol..
It will come with time, dont be hard on yourself... good luck

I'm one who doesnt canter very often! Strange because I love it when I do!!, it's mostly down to the ground being either too hard or too soft and if I want to use a school, I have to hire one and trailer my horse there

Cantering isnt the be all and end all of riding, find a riding school horse that you like and trust, try and get one that has a decent long stride rather than a short choppy one so that it's easier to sit to, and I think you'll find you'll be enjoying canter in no time at all:smile:

I think you should explain to your instructor how you feel.
Practising sitting trot might help. It's the sitting trot before and after the canter that most people find unbalancing. The canter itself is generally easier to sit to than the trot.
I would take the pressure off yourself. You'll know when you're ready to start cantering again. Your instructor should be able to help you build confidence in your riding.

Yup I'd agree with everyone's advice above.

I had a bad fall in March when my horse bolted with me so it's been especially hard to canter again and we've just got there recently after lots of weekly lessons together.

Bizarrely it's easier on hacks than in the school - I find I don't think about it and it doesn't seem quite so fast and scary. Maybe I'm just much more aware of things in the school?!

Take your time and look forward to when you feel more confident to have a go at cantering. There's no rush - after all, none of us are going in for the Olympics next year!!

Good luck! :running:

The bit of this that really stuck out in my mind is the fast trot bit. I have to admit that a fast trot is worrying in itself as it feels rushed and hectic and takes a lot to keep up with, not to mention that is could lead to a sloppy canter transition and not the best canter. I like to keep my pace within trot down and then ask for a canter if I want it. This makes the canter slower than a fast trot and is likely to be more balanced and calmer. You can treat it as transition practice rather than canter practice and aim to count 5 paces. Practice that and them gradually increase the number of paces you want each time as you confidence grows.

The bit of this that really stuck out in my mind is the fast trot bit. I have to admit that a fast trot is worrying in itself as it feels rushed and hectic and takes a lot to keep up with, not to mention that is could lead to a sloppy canter transition and not the best canter. I like to keep my pace within trot down and then ask for a canter if I want it. This makes the canter slower than a fast trot and is likely to be more balanced and calmer. You can treat it as transition practice rather than canter practice and aim to count 5 paces. Practice that and them gradually increase the number of paces you want each time as you confidence grows.

Totally agree with what Joyscarer says. If you try to sit to a fast trot, you tend to feel more unsecure. You need a nice steady trot, not rushed, to be able to get a nice stready canter.

Definitely don't rush into it. Perhaps ask to practice sitting trot and to try canter on the lunge first? Whatever you do don't worry about it because as you become more secure you will feel more relaxed. My canter transitions are always poor because I tense up so I ride into my transition telling myself "sit up and breathe sit up and breathe sit up and breathe"!

how long have you been riding?

i was also too scared to canter after a few falls off Moet. My confidence was rock bottom, i didnt canter for a good 2-3 months...and i only asked for canter when i truely wanted to do it, did not push myself beyond where i naturally wanted to be!

now we do it all the time and i am super happy :)

I get nervous about cantering my horse, partly because he tanked off when I tried him out pre-purchase (although I know that was my own fault!) and partly because we'd a bad fitting saddle that was causing a problem and he used to sort of rear when I'd ask him to canter...

I do know from the pre-purchase tanking off that he can and will stop when asked, and that once he's cantering everything is fine, my problem is the transition into canter. I give rubbish aids (panicking) and start to flap, which doesn't help. So I pretend I'm teaching someone else how to ask the horse to canter, I ride in an arena, so I ask coming out of the short end and tell myself to do what I'd be telling someone else - sit back, hands down, inside leg on, outside leg back and can-ter!

It sounds so easy when you're saying it, but actually doing it, is something else!

The other day when I was riding I was telling myself to sit back, and the sunlight hit my chesticles, and I was temporarily blinded by the glare, which made me laugh, so (having missed that transition) next time I asked I was so busy giggling about blinding myself with the glare that I got my canter! If I'm feeling particularly nervous I just canter down the long side to the next corner, if I'm brave I'll go around the corner (horse likes to lean in, and my balance can be a bit "off"). Some days I even manage a full circuit!

newrider.com