Scared to death at the thought of what MIGHT have been!

annareeves0

Dec 18, 2007
Bournemouth, Dorset
Ha ha instead of being afraid before and during my rides i seem to have progressed (I think its a progression ;)) to being scared afterwards!!!! Things could have soooo easily NOT have gone our way. i am very grateful to the guy who steered us up the right path and I am going to make a sign and laminate it and pin it to the fence.

Just been out for a 5 mile ride – came back down a marked bridleway despite being told it was really busy – thought we would be brave and go and have a look so we found it eventually. We got to the eco compost place and started riding down (it would have been a really long way back by now) but am worrying about the amount of traffic when some guy comes out waving to us. We go back and talk to him and it turns out that the bridle path doesn’t run down the road but there is a track to one side. Well i think he may have saved Rosie and I from a serious injury or worse! The road is split so there are two paths, both one way, so you come up one road and down the other with no passing paces and it was really busy – bin trucks, vehicle carriers and all sorts bombing up and down - we were so glad to be on the path away from them all. We get to the bottom, go through the sports club and come out just the wrong side of the mini roundabout near the airport – walks down the pavement – fine. Rosie is a bit ansty at the traffic but one guy stops to let us go – only for someone else to overtake him! I did swear at him quite loudly!!! Anyway – get to a small section where theres just normal pavement and a ditch to the side. Just as we are going past this bit (which is only 50 metres) bin truck comes along – slows down but not much and just as he is besides us Rosie spooks!!! I very nearly pooed my pants! The truck was close enough for me to touch, theres a ditch the other side and she’s freaking!!!!!

I am so so so grateful that we have that one rein stop and that i have used it enough times to not have to think about it. I pulled her up tight as there is absolutely nowhere for us to go - lorry one side, ditch the other and my friend on her horse in front. In fact I don’t know how she didn’t scrape her butt on the lorry but the lorry keeps going and we walk on! Phew! That could have been really nasty.

She is a bit on her toes at larger bits of traffic but we keep going steadily, as the path got wider and we stayed facing the oncoming traffic and then 2 mins later were home.

After that reaction i am very very grateful that man showed us the route so we didn’t ride down the road with all the trucks coming past really close – not sure we’d have made it through :eek:. She was a really good girl and i cant begrudge her that one spook as it was tight, huge and noisy but perhaps next time will be a bit more wary about traffic. Im very grateful today for all the work we have put in - its really paid off by saving my bacon.

wow!
what a ride --- and absolutely normal to rethink things afterwards and go "what if?"

that is just your unconscious making it clear that it is not 100% sure it can trust you right now...

a good technique to now apply is to sit down and have a converstaion with your unconscious right now - and say -- ok, so what could have happened? let the unconscoius tell you, and you tell your unconscious why you will not be in a position for that to happen again...

by doing this, each fear your unconscious raises will be answered and it will be able to let go and trust you

if you do not do this, your unconscious is likly to trigger fear in you the next time you ride in a similar situation as it will not feel it can trust you -- so you see what I mean?

so, have a chat with your unconscious and explain to it why it doesn't need to protect you, and that none of the what if happened BECAUSE you were prepared and if anything had been different or worse you WOULD have behaved in a way that would have preserved your life and safety...

k?

xxx

Cathy

Oh Well done you:eek:. That sounds pretty scary. I cannot believe how far you have come:D.

fth - I've been wobbling a bit again recently - I'm going to go and try that chat!

Thata girl, but damn be careful. I don't ride near traffic often but the places you guys describe sound scary as crap. :eek:

I was gone over the weekend and didn't keep up with the board. Who went riding this week end? Skippysmum, did you have that talk with yourself. (damn fth, at my age I better not try that :p)

Hope everybody rode safe,

Keep on, keepin on

Jack

Scary hack! Sounds like you did good tho. I too think about what might have been - afterwards! Mind you, who am I kidding?! I worry so much I make Storm nervous and then we're botha bundle of nerves hacking around our little estate in the middle of nowhere. We both spoil it for ourselves often, just in case we meet a pheasant, squirrel, cow or sheep......argh........!!

Ha ha that WAS a sedate ride!!!! Most of it was lovely and Rosie and Daisy work well together - Rosie leads out where Daisy is hesitant but Daisy will lead past scarey things - Rosie didnt bat an eyelid at the deer Daisy was scared off and Daisy led us past the drain Rosie refused to pass. What a team! And Lynda and I were nattering so much we barely noticed most of the ride!

We are just exploring the area as we havent ridden out and about before. I feel OK about what happened and straight away was thinking to myself what i SHOULD have done and WILL do next time;
  • be a bit more assertive and put my hand up and ASK lorries to stop instead of hoping they will do the right thing
  • not get cocky and think we can do anything but thats what riding down that busy road was all about and Id have come a cropper
  • plan my routes a bit better and maybe drive them in advance if its down a road etc
I kind of have two things going on about routes at the moment;
1. I get bored really easily and would not want to do the same route very often - hence always looking for somewhere new
2. actually I have it in my head that Rosie is better when she doesnt know where she is going - on a familiar route she starts making assumptions about where we are going, at what speed, whats coming etc - and thats not good BUT I also dont want to only be able to ride new routes all the time.

newrider.com