Scared to ride alone!

When I first started hacking out alone I resorted to singing ten green bottles to my old horse, started off going 15 mins up the road and back and then eventually doing a hour on our own.

I always talk to the horse I'm riding!! Even in the school:D

You all make me feel much better - at least I know I'm not the only one who has these feelings!:D It doesn't make it go away, but it helps, a lot.:) I did read a post in one of the other threads, about how riding makes you able to handle other things better and I like to think about that, too. The fact that I've taken all those baby steps, even with the backward steps that have happened, I've made progress. I really do handle things better - both at the barn and in other "non-horsey" areas! I like the fact that, whatever I do, whatever the baby step is, it is ME that's doing it! NO one else is doing it for me. It is me.

I really think that any of us who love horses and love riding so much that we hang in there and do whatever we can and keep coming back and keep singing and talking nonsense to our horse, or whatever it is - we should be very proud of ourselves. It isn't perfection that matters. It's progress.:cool:

This is such a great bunch. Hey, I'm off to the dentist. See how being brave at the barn helps?

Wish me LUCK!

The dentist was fine. :)I have some things to take care of, but I liked him and I think we'll do OK. What I learned today is that it is much better to soldier on and face something, than to sit around worrying about it!:mad: AND - I am MUCH more brave than I used to be - all due to what I deal with at the barn!

Hang in there! We are STRONG.:cool:

Tomorrow is my lesson. I will be fine. I will sing. I will ponder the fact that chickens could conquer the World! I will Whistle in the Dark!!!:D

You all make me laugh. Laughter is good.

God bless you.

Really pleased you got a hacking buddy, helps such alot.:) I like having someone to talk to and it keeps me calmer. I only started hacking this Summer and with a new horse.

You're definitely not alone! I like hacking with others but only done a solo with a 'cycle soldier' :D

Didn't help OH (cycle soldier) kept telling me 'how lethal the narrow yard lane was, how blind the bends were, if a car comes round now we are toast etc' for the whole hack so I lasted 15 mins before turned back, instead of a good hour. Despite my big lad being saintly at a low flying pigeon that caught my hat and a motorbike that had to brake hard on the same bend near us :eek:, Duke didn't even notice!

I often sing to the poor lad, even when OH was behind, worse still it was a made up song too in time with Duke's rhythmic happy grunts :eek: (You know those horse 'fake old man' grunts)

An experienced local lady was critically injured nearby on the road and since had OH stressing about me riding on the road/responsible mum stuff :eek: Can't get that story out of my head. Really trust my horse, he has gone past so many really scarey things (road diggers, spinning lights, cranes, cows, trailers, tractors) and either does nothing or rarely will take 1 step away. RI says he is a perfect horse to look after me alone too.

I want to get to that solo hack too and get my hacking mojo back, the school is so boring! Would love to hear how you get on :) Hope so much you have fun!

One very very happy mummy!!!!

O i really feel for you, i used to be so confident and after a riding accident on a trial horse, i lost all my confidence, and i actually feel sick and shack at the idea, i tack him up, and thats it's i am in such a state that i end up feeling faint! It's horrible, i've tried everything, his never put a foot wrong in two years, and my friends have ridden him out alone, but it puts the fear of god in me. :( wish i could just enjoy riding him on my own.

I went out for my first hack in ages yesterday, found myself a hacking buddy from up the road from me, she was lovely, she walked down to meet me and the mud monster aka Billy, and we went for a lovely ride. The next step is for me to ride to her yard to met her. Billy was as good as gold, didn't get hyped up or spook at anything!!! however when his alone he does look alot more, and i always fear him bolting (his never bolted) but its just a stupid fear. But he was ace yesterday, i'm so proud of him, even if he looked a mess. (he may have been so good becuase he was trying to impress the mare). lol who cares he was brill.

So next sunday i am riding down to meet her. I will have everthing crossed .

Before i rode my boy i went for a hack with m,y best mate on her mare, who is bombproof so it put me in the right frame of mind before i went to ride my boy, so thanks Nat :)

I went out for my first hack in ages yesterday, found myself a hacking buddy from up the road from me, she was lovely, she walked down to meet me and the mud monster aka Billy, and we went for a lovely ride. The next step is for me to ride to her yard to met her. Billy was as good as gold, didn't get hyped up or spook at anything!!! however when his alone he does look alot more, and i always fear him bolting (his never bolted) but its just a stupid fear. But he was ace yesterday, i'm so proud of him, even if he looked a mess. (he may have been so good becuase he was trying to impress the mare). lol who cares he was brill.

So next sunday i am riding down to meet her. I will have everthing crossed .

Before i rode my boy i went for a hack with m,y best mate on her mare, who is bombproof so it put me in the right frame of mind before i went to ride my boy, so thanks Nat :)

YAY good for you! You will be fine on Sunday I am sure, but as a fellow nervy person I will think of you :)

newrider.com