Scarlet's latest trim...I'm not v. happy :-(

liz_scarlet

Jun 6, 2011
Roslin
It seems to be one trim forward and one back with my farrier :frown:

Last time he left them a bit longer after a chat about her being sore the time before and she was much better even on the hard stony track, she was done today he got their early so was finished and away by the time I got there (YO was there as back up) apparently one of the young 'apprentice/work experience guys did her under his supervision and they are the shortest I have ever seen them!!!! :banghead:

Friend at the yard actually came out with Scarlet looks smaller tonight without knowing about the trim! I think she is probably now 14hh!!!!!!! ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I've asked YO to let me know how she is to and from field tomorrow..she said she'd also have a look at them tonight and let me know what she thinks.

Don't want to go back to barefoot trimmer woman but its looking more and more likely...why can't he keep them the same??!!! and do them himself!!!!! :cry:

I know ... not good :( ... I`d maybe specifically ask him, for him (an no one else) to do Scarlets. Seen as you`re the customer, he should really do as you`d like ? ? I do count my blessings that our farrier is quite good .... even if he`s desperate to get shoes on Coby :giggle:

Mine is good....when its him!!! he doesn't even force the shoe thing and says her feet are really good and to keep her shoeless as long as poss so not to weaken them.

I'll see what YO says and watch her tomorrow night...she was def putting her feet down funny tonight but maybe she'll be ok once she is used to having an inch less :-( Will phone and ask him to do them and only him next time...even if he charges more!!!

The time you were happier with how they were done, was that by the qualified farrier? Is it just when the trainee has a go that its wrong? If it is the trainee I would tell the farrier in no uncertain terms that his 'boy' can go practice on someone else's horse. If it is the farrier himself getting it wrong, send him on his way and look for a new farrier.

I finally found a new farrier and couldn't be more pleased, wish I had changed years back!:unsure:

Yeah the happiest 2 times were when he did them....his full time apprentice has done 1 good job and 1 too short...apparently this time it was 2 youngsters who were probably from the college on work experience! I will give him a last chance and I will be saying I want him to do them!

This - but I wouldn't be half so polite about it!:bounce:

rofl.gif

I know ... not good :( ... I`d maybe specifically ask him, for him (an no one else) to do Scarlets. Seen as you`re the customer, he should really do as you`d like ? ? I do count my blessings that our farrier is quite good .... even if he`s desperate to get shoes on Coby :giggle:

This - poor scarlett - not good at all.....

I have to wider of there is something going a miss in her diet - usually sore after trim indicates that soles are being protected by high heels/walls - but for them to look smaller suggests her toes are flaring/white line stretching? In which case toes back are best to prevent it getting worse - all that said leaving a hrse sore post trim is not necessary!!! I think I would be phoning him an asking some questions. :)

I'll try and take some pics...she does flare a little bit (if looking at her front legs they flare towards each other) if not trimmed regularly but been told by 2 farriers and bare foot trimmer that she has very good feet which just need a bit of balancing.

PFB - Diet wise she gets speedi beet, healthy hoof and a handful of pony nuts and is on hay...oh and a carrot and/or apple daily in her feed.

Could be a grass thing but pics would be fab (I love looking at different feet even if I can't help!!!)

I think I would phone him and ask what he thought of the feet, what try did with her feet and finally discuss her being sore. Does he mess with the sole or frog? Was she sore after other carrier or trimmer?

She was fine after the trim from barefoot woman but she really didn't like her...rolled eyes, took the piss, snorted a bit then tried to squash her up against stable wall when I left them to get something out the tack room! which isn't like her. She was also fine after the last time when He did it not the unqualified helper :frown:

He doesn't seem to mess about with the sole and never noticed him trim frog...but I'm really not the most knowledgeable.

It wasn't a get your barefooter back comment :giggle:

If I had access to a decent farrier I wouldn't have had to find a barefoot trimmer! (now I have I wouldn't swap her for anything but that's just luck!).

Lol nothing wrong with the barefoot woman....I do think she expected a little too much from both of us to despite me telling her how clueless and green we both were/are :giggle:

Oh Liz, poor Scarlet! I hope her hooflets are OK tomorrow. It must be like when we cut our toenails too short - YOUCH!

Prince has his front feet shod but I have had the same kind of problems with the farrier in that when the main man does them, all is fine and his shoes stay on but when Jack The Lad does them, one or both shoes will be off within 2 weeks.... expensive business and not good for healthy feet grrr

I think if I were you I would be calling him and asking a few questions then ending with either he does it or you find another professional. After all, you are paying for a pro to do your horse's feet!

Hope the wee lass is happy hoofed soon x

newrider.com