Schirrous Cord

ToG

Jan 14, 2009
Wiltshire
Anyone come across this?

Biggles was diagnosed with it August last year. He had 4 lots of antibiotics at £100 a bottle ( :eek: ) Swelling reduced and everything seemed fairly normal, although sheath remained enlarged as vet predicted.

Well last night he threw a wobbly in his stable at me! So i checked underneath & the area is open again. Have cleaned it but left it without cream. He lets me touch there so not sure what the wobbly was about!!

Have just spoke to vet & ordered more antibiotics (and some bute just in case). So we shall see - hope we can hold off the operation :(

Never heard of it, seems like an expensive bloody illness to have though!!

Would an operation be better than chancing it keep coming back and putting him hin obvious pain? :)

It's basically where the vet who gelding him when he was a yearling (before i had him) didn't cut enough of the cord off, and its pushing through.

I've been quoted £3000 for the operation, and it's not covered by insurance because of the reason it's happened! (believe me, we've had indepth convos)

So i'm sort of stuck :(

Heard of it but never seen a case.. Sounds frustrating. Am of no help I'm afraid.. Hope it can be cleared up.

Could the wobbly have been caused by pain as the abcess was bursting due to movement ? Once it had burst the pressure/pain would have been relieved so you were able to touch/apply cream ?

It's mega frustrating!

When i touched it, it was all dried up, so it hadn't just burst open, think maybe leg straps were rubbing so i took them off. Never know though!

the hole was big enough to put finger in, like when a gelding is done, yucky yucky yucky

my (old) vet gelded my nf pony and he ended up with an infection which had to have major surgery to remove allot of the cord it cost me mega money but would have died with out it

i now dont use that vet and my new equine vet did wonders with him (but pony did end up scared of vets but then so would i if i had stiches pulled out of my bits!!!!!

vet did try antibiotics first but they didnt work,

the op did not affect him long term and grew normally and went on to be a great pony:)

Biggles is rising 5, and the cord took until he was 4 to come out, i think this is going to be a long journey, hoping it doesnt end in surgery else i may have to sell the OH to pay!

Quick update:

Swelling reduced alot & pony perked up & enjoying work again.

Apparently i have some come back on the surgery that gelded him, so currently looking into getting the operation free or heavily discounted!

newrider.com