Schooling

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
I have ALWAYS found schooling boring. Hacking has been my thing. Lessons have been few and far between due to lack of funds and interest. The more I thought about how I "ought" to school, the less inclined I was to do it, even though I know that the only way to achieve stuff is to practise. I even sent Gracie away for a month last year so that someone else could do it! Then she came back, we had saddle issues for 4 months so all the good muscle Gracie had developed faded away..... and I felt we were back at square one. Demoralised.... waste of time and money. *sigh*

I attempted our first dressage test a couple of months ago, knowing full well we were rubbish, but I got a baseline score and it was a bit of a wake-up call. I actually decided to start practising .... and Gracie seemed to sense a change in my attitude in the school and became a little more cooperative. This has delighted and excited me and I truly feel that we are starting to get somewhere now. She is coming into a contact and maintaining it for longer periods and not fighting me any more. We've both "knuckled under" and..... dare I say it..... I'm a schooling convert! I haven't hacked her for weeks. I really must, before she gets stale. We are by no means consistent, but we she offers it, I really feel her back lift and it all goes light. I say its the "power steering kicking in". Fab

20190721_194647-800x599.jpg

IMG-20190721-WA0019-800x600.jpg

It can be quite addictive once you get into it and it's amazing how quickly you will both come along if you are consistent with whatever it is you are doing :)

Well done , you are both looking very trim and toned :)
Thank you! Thankfully YM has wised up this year and is rotating the fields better so G hasn't had the chance to really balloon.

And I've lost nearly two and a half stone, pretty effortlessly, by converting to the ketogenic way of eating. I'm sure G appreciates my reduction too!! Haha

Reactions: joellie
Congratulations on the weight loss!

I wish I could catch the schooling bug. I've just resumed lessons (haven't had one since last year because of Raf's sore legs and then my op) but although I enjoyed my first one and promised myself I would definitely practise this time, I haven't really. It's been 9 years and I'm still trying ... :p

Well done on the weight loss, keto sounds interesting but I don't think I could stick to it for long, like my fruit too much and your only allowed berries I believe?

As for schooling - I miss it so much, I only ever wanted to be a happy hacker, but once I started schooling and getting results with myself and Belle I really enjoyed it, I still love hacking but yeah I definitely had the schooling bug, although I did always alternate between schooling and hacking as it was never Belles favorite job.

newrider.com