Second cut hay

coppi28

Aug 20, 2010
Norfolk
I am in such a panic about hay.
I have small square bales of hay but my horses have decided they don't like and so wont eat it-grrrr , pick through it and chuck it to the side..So panic stations!!

I have managed to secure some 5 ft round bales of lovely first cut hay from my local farmer but he only has a small quantity that he can save for me as the rest he has promised to other people, I am in a panic that It will not be enough to get me through the winter with a t.b and 2 welsh ponies,especially that winter has bitten hard and early:cold:

i have spoke to him and 5-6 is all that he can do me but he does have some second cut hay off the same field which i could mix with the 1st cut, I have had a look at and it is darker than the 1st cut but still smells nice and sweet, he gave me a feed sack full to take away to see if my lot would eat it which they did and seemed to enjoy it.

Now i have no idea about second cut hay,I've never used it before, or know of anyone who has?? Is there anything I should be careful about? should i/should i not feed it? any answers greatly appreciated.

Really sorry for the long rambling :eek: but the i thought i had all my hay sorted until the little buggers stopped eating it:banghead:

Its fine... dont worry! Higher in sugars I think as fresher, but if an isse you could soak.

I couldnt even tell you if ours was a first or second cut!

The way our hay situation is in the south beggars can't be choosers.. hay's hay as far as i'm concerned.. I'd be grateful for anything I can get.. it's up to £50 for round bales.. yes £50 ekkk....:banghead:

newrider.com