Second Games Practise..... :(

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Hmmm..... mounted games may not be for us. Gracie was SO excited today that she pronced instead of canter and at one point when I asked her to stand at an obstacle she actually bounced off the floor with her front feet in protest!

Now..... 1st games sesh was last Weds. Our straight lines were fab. On Thursday I had the physio out who treated her for a seized-up left side at the junction between her head and neck. Today she was very bendy and kept hooning off and veering. :oops: Plus she has learned to turn on a sixpence which is scary when the rider isn't used to it!!! :p

I don't want to blow her brains. Tomorrow we are hacking out with Jill n Albs and I suspect she will be absolutely fine (we hacked out with some other yard peeps on Sat and she was her usual steady-eddy self) However, for all I know she has been in pain with her neck and is now feeling free and pingy.....plus she's on spring grass now. Our she just may love mounted games....

We are going to have one last attempt at practise on Thursday evening with a different bunch of horses and riders and if she is still too excitable I will "withdraw my application"!!! :D On the day of the games, the excitement and adrenaline levels will be WAY higher than in training and I don't want to be scared and lose my confidence with her. I have to be sensible about this. Watch this space......

Oh the joys of spring grass lol my boy is a nightmare at the moment which is so unlike him. I am putting it down to the grass as my sheep are all bonkers at the moment too lol
Hopefully Gracie will be back to her chilled out self again and you will be able to try the games again as you both looked like you were having such fun the first time :D

It might be like hunting where they're always worse the second time because they know what's coming? Maybe she'll settle down again when she gets over her excitement. Glad she's feeling well in herself though, whatever you decide to do :D

It might be like hunting where they're always worse the second time because they know what's coming?
Mine saw the hunt for the first time. Watching her watching the hunt, I was glad I wasn't on her! They all went crazy.

It could also be hormonal - Belle is always more 'excitable' when she's in season, add that to the spring grass and the general 'fun' of it all for her. One of the reasons I don't often jump Belle, she likes it a little bit too much for my liking!

I stopped games with Bo years ago because he could turn quicker than I could, he did settle to it as he got older but at the time I wanted to focus on getting things right (and staying on) rather than fast :)

Reactions: domane
First solo hack this morning for about a month. She was golden, a bit more "looky" than last time BUT it was quite breezy and they're all a bit zoomy because of the spring grass. Feel better today.

Reactions: Jessey and joellie
One of the reasons I go for chunky cobs is because they usually have the turning circle of a tanker :p

I swear Gracie rotated her full body on her inside foreleg round the end post. More than once so it wasn't just a fluke!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Reactions: joellie
I think you should keep at it! She obviously has a flair for it and loves it too. I am sure she will settle over time and enjoy herself without going totally over the top!

newrider.com