SECRET! I think I might be pony shopping.... help!

Shetlander

Aug 23, 2010
Surrey
Well... here's a turn up I wasn't expecting!

When Prince moves I'll be able to afford to keep a second horse so I'm looking for a pony for my 14yr old daughter but it's TOP SECRET as I don't want her to get her hopes up :wink:

Hoping you guys might enjoy searching or know of something somewhere. I haven't got much to spend on the purchase itself but a very loving home with very excellent grazing awaits!

So...... here's my criteria. I know it's a tall order but there are some out there:

MUST BE
£2000
14-14.2hh (would consider 13.2-13.3 if stocky)
Experienced in doing a bit of everything - suitable for pony club
Safe, sane and reliable
10yrs or over

PREFER
gelding (easier if can go out with my boy)
tack or some wardrobe included

Oooh fab, NR loves a good horse hunt!
So whats on the cards that you're able to do this, moving? Where to? Hows things going with Prince and the nappyness? Sorry, I'm taking this OT but I will go and have a search for you as well!

Oooh fab, NR loves a good horse hunt!
So whats on the cards that you're able to do this, moving? Where to? Hows things going with Prince and the nappyness? Sorry, I'm taking this OT but I will go and have a search for you as well!

Yay! Go NRs - I knew I could count on you :giggle:

FM, Prince is going good - we are about to move (yes, AGAIN!) to a gorgeous little yard with a like-minded YO who is lovely and willing to help us. Been taking him out again recently and he hasnt napped once although not tried him in front or alone again yet!

I'll be able to use the lovely little indoor school when we move so plan to do more loose schooling and groundwork there as that is all the things I would get laughed at for at current yard grrr xxxxx

Nothing wrong with a yard move if its going to help your game plan. Environment is everything - I learned that! We shall require an update once you're settled! (and some piccies!!)
Away to have a look around and see what I can find.

Exciting! My wee mare is too young for you sadly, but I'll keep an eye out. Which end of Surrey are you?

Let me know if you need a test pilot! I love pony shopping.

Oh brilliant thanks Jane xx :dance:

Nothing wrong with a yard move if its going to help your game plan. Environment is everything - I learned that! We shall require an update once you're settled! (and some piccies!!)
Away to have a look around and see what I can find.

Couldn't agree more. This time I actually can't WAIT to go because I really feel this is right for us :dance: Start of Dec and yes, I will surely bore you all with pics! x

Exciting! My wee mare is too young for you sadly, but I'll keep an eye out. Which end of Surrey are you?

Thanks Sunshine - how old is your mare? I can't stop looking at ponies now - it's like a fever LOL. I'm near Guildford :happy:

It's a shame shaka is in in Manchester as she has a couple that fit the bill in the classifieds horses offered on here ....

Exciting pony search though, give prince a big kiss on his head for me, hopefully it's much better now:happy:

Blue keeps cropping up to the extent that I am wondering if the reason I haven't called about her is because she is actually going to be the perfect one but I cannot buy the first one I see!!

The little bay fire sale is gorgeous and I left a message for the seller to call me this afternoon. Pretty and nice name too :wink:

It's a shame shaka is in in Manchester as she has a couple that fit the bill in the classifieds horses offered on here ....

Exciting pony search though, give prince a big kiss on his head for me, hopefully it's much better now:happy:

Aw thanks Nat - he is looking great but any excuse for extra kisses, right? xx

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/106762636/not-to-be-missed.html
(I know she's a mare but she's a bargain)
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/106727661/loving-home-wanted-for-mouse.html
Not a good picture but connemaras are strong ponies for weight carrying
http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/106700973/for-sale-tinker.html
Love that palomino chap!

Hope that's helped? I'll let others search a bit more.

Bless you Wiz, thanks :happy:
Mouse is one I haven't seen already and have now messaged the seller. Tinker would have been the dream pony but he sold as soon as they advertised him. What is it about palominos that makes us all go weak at the knees?

Further finds always welcome!

Bah!!! Just about to post that Wiz's palomino was the one to go and see PDQ, and now you say tis gone!:redcarded: The search goes on....:biggrin:

Bah!!! Just about to post that Wiz's palomino was the one to go and see PDQ, and now you say tis gone!:redcarded: The search goes on....:biggrin:

I know - that one really stands out doesn't it? I bet she was kicking herself she sold him for so little! She did offer me a 5yr old when I called but that is tooooo young for my purposes :cry:

Onwards to find the right one. It's out there somewhere..... anyone know where it is?

How confident/competant is your daughter?

Also is the sizing set for a reason?

Friend has a nice mare - done all pc stuff but she only 13"2 (and quite a way away! not advertised as wants to sell via word of mouth

How confident/competant is your daughter?

Also is the sizing set for a reason?

Friend has a nice mare - done all pc stuff but she only 13"2 (and quite a way away! not advertised as wants to sell via word of mouth

Well this is a thing i find hard to define and I do worry about what other might think is suitable for that reason.

My daughter is a very light, slim girl and has been riding for a year. She is now hacking out with friends, started jumping and is doing her first dressage test this weekend. She is very confident (a quality we haven't seen in her in any other aspect of her life!) and likes a good gallop too. She rides to and from the field on her own and bareback each time she rides. She has been sharing a wonderful 15hh mare for the last year and is very dedicated.

The plan is to have regular lessons with the new pony, not least because I will be able to afford this once we're on the new yard.

I think a 13,2 could be OK if a stockier type as they keep the teenage legs from dangling straight down the sides :wink:

Have you any pics or info on the mare? I am also keen on word of mouth and have put the feelers out with contacts in pony club circles near us. One has come up and looks good and that is also a 13,2 so you never know.....! I think it is always a good idea to look at lots and lots of options so that you see what is out there in your range before starting to try any out.

newrider.com