seeing the rump-end

Greentchr

A Lighter Shade of Green
When is it permissable for the hind-end to be towards you? I feel uncomfortable anytime Kona (7yo, almost as green-as-me mare) turns away from me, such as when eating or when I am in the corral dealing with "stuff". Is it showing disrespect if she turns away when I am not asking anything of her? She has never offered to kick, though I got in the way of a kick towards the donkey (who is VERY respectful of her!), with awe-inspiring results. I am such a greenie myself, I am not sure what I should expect from a horse. We took a Parelli Level one class in September, and it both taught and confused me . Thanks to you-all for all the great threads that are working to un-confuse me!.

There is a distinct difference between threatening, and just turning away.

I try to never be directly behind my horses; if passing behind them, I let them know where I am *well* before actually getting behind them. If I'm standing somewhere and they (passively) turn the hindquarter toward me, I either move closer (toward the shoulder) or push the rump away.

A horse which is threatening is a very different matter. The horse is not passive. If you can spend some time watching horses in a pasture, you will often pick up the warning signs of a threat. They'll be a bit different from horse to horse, but typically the horse will be keeping an eye on you and making grumpy faces, in addition to swinging the hind end around.

The great majority of the time, there's no reason to be worried about being at the back end of the horse. A horse may still kick and injure a person, even if not aiming for you, as I see you've already discovered. A horse can also kick in trying to dislodge a fly, or shake out a stiff joint, or other somewhat random reasons. Because a horse may kick without even realizing you're there, I just always try to make sure I'm not in range--unless I have reason to be, and the horse is aware that I'm there.

galadriel said most of it reaaly ..... def difference from horses point of view in how they turn rear end towards you.

I would add that occasionally it may be the horse requesting some thing from you - I regularily massage Taz and rub under her belly / between her back legs / teats (to clean) and under her tail , areas she cannot rub herself. She sometimes "asks" for this by moving her rump towards me.

I will hasten to add though that you must have worked on trust issues thoroughly .... and introduce this sort of stuff slowly as not all horses like every area touched !!!!

It is aslo a good idea to get horses used to someone standing close behind them ..... you never know. one day the vet might need to do something "back there" and if the horses is used to people there in a non threatening way it might be less traumatic for all concerned.

I don't think she is necessarily showing any sign of disrespect for you turning away, especially in a field ..... but that depends on the rest of her body language .

It really is about intent on the horse's part, just being behind the horse whilst you're both doing your own thing is not a problem, and won't impact on your relationship. In fact being able to move around your horses space freely with it happy for you to do so is no bad thing at all and you should expect to be able to.

A horse turning its bottom to you when you're asking something of it is a different matter, though it isn't necessarily a threat in itself. As has already been pointed out there are a lot of other visual signs which usually come into place before a full blown kick.

Ok - how about if I come into your lounge and you're not allowed to do anything other than face towards me, regardless of whether I'm actually doing anything that relates to you (or vice versa ?)

and I'm gonna wander about, so you can't just face me and relax.

The analogy does hold - if I am in a work environment talking to someone and they wander off and start doing other stuff, I would not be too impressed/happy !

Thank you!

I feel like such an idiot for asking such basic questions- thank you for all of your excellent replies! I see now that what she is doing is natural and not a threat, and we will work harder on the building of trust. I think she is a bit more horse than our (my 14yo daughter and I ) skill level warents (VERY beginner), but to give her back would put her in a bad situation (long story), and I see no options but to learn as fast as we can so we can become happy, safe partners. I read all the posts I have time for in all the forums, and I feel hopeful that everything will work out well between what I learn here, the books we read, the trainer we are working with, and time.Thanks again!

don't feel like an idiot for asking - how else do we learn? :) the important thing is that you did ask, and that you act on the good advice - you didn't just assume it was a threat and tell her off for it. well done for wanting to do the best by her.

Never be afraid to ask ...... you may not always get the advice you need ... or hear what you want ....... and you will have to sift through lots of different ideas .......... but thats the joy of horses , every situation is different although there are general similarities ...... wondeful ( just like brining up children , there is no one absolute correct absolute :D

I feel like such an idiot for asking such basic questions- thank you for all of your excellent replies!
Don't feel bad. It really is a tricky thing. For both parties involved! Even horses can't always tell what it means! :D
After mine get their feed they usually get a small bucket full of alfalfa for dessert. When I go into Missy's stall she can be a bit pushy about it. So I move her away before she gets any. The other day I shielded the bucket by turning my back to her and she immediately backed off! It wasn't my intention but to her my body language must have said: see my backside- back off! :)

newrider.com