Selfishness

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
Is it selfish to want to ride my pony as an escape from the madness in the world currently?

I have had 4 years of disruption on the trot.....first my partner cancer ......second his brain bleeds ....third equine influenza...... fourth Coronavirus.

I don’t mind and understand that events are being cancelled. I have even cancelled the riding lessons I was planning which help with my confidence. I am putting off riding summer storm as bit more risky him being green.

I feel if I stay away from everyone at the farm I am not hurting anyone by riding ? I couldn’t do one to two years in my lovely home without riding keep me sane :)

your thoughts please.

Last edited:
If you feel confident to ride yes do it, you aren’t hurting anyone. I wouldn’t ride Zi but that’s me and my confidence issues. I fell off Xmas day and mentally haven’t recovered from it. But I would be riding Storm in a heartbeat right now if she was sound and not terminally lame! You know what you need to do to stay sane, and if you are being careful and sensible go for it. Nothing like the smell and touch of a horse to cheer us up - even just pootling.

Didnt you ride out yesterday NL with the kids from your place? To be honest I really would not be risking that as your partner is very high risk and thought you were self isolating because of that? I can't see any reason not to hack out alone form your own place but kids are the biggest vectors right now so way to risky for me or my loved ones I'm afraid. But we all have to make our own decision based on the most reliable information we can find. :confused:

Reactions: Skib
I am making the most of riding just now. Apart from the fact that the vet has told me that with billys injury to help him get better he needs to be ridden. So i must. Im also conscious that we may be stopped from riding anyway fairly soon. If we follow suit like other countries with lockdown. That will mean not riding out.
I agree with @Cortrasna dont ride with a group of people ride on your own or only with people in your household.
I had a text from chunkys rider yesterday saying she could ride today but i said i was busy with mucking out and moving sheep which was true, but im also apprehensive just now about who i come into contact with. As you dont know where others have been.
It was madness up here yesterday on the hill. We have two car parks on our road with access to the hill. One on the top of the hill as well. They were bursting with walkers and dog walkers. Such that they started parking along the roadside so the local residents couldnt get up the road to there homes. God forbid if we needed emergency services.
Did you also see that in snowdonia people had gone mad all going for walks there. One local said there was over 100 cars parked including along the roadside. They had never known it so busy. The down side of that is that mountain rescue would not have been able to cope if people needed help, and it would put them at unnecessary risk.

I have to agree if you are isolating that means avoiding all unnecessary contact with people so hacking in a group isn't really isolating its just distancing.
From the bucking picture of storm yesterday I would definitely say don't ride him until the NHS is back to full capacity.
I will continue to ride until we are told we can't, but I'll take all safety precautions and won't jump or do anything out of the norm as that's just asking for trouble. If had of kept the tb mare I probably wouldn't be riding at all but I know indie is safe as houses.

Just my thoughts on where I am today, subject to change.
I have forgotten all about the horse flu. Was that last year?

Self isolating means not leaving your property boundaries, social distancing is restricting any unnecessary contact and staying two metres apart from anyone you are with.
http://www.bhs.org.uk/advice-and-information/coronavirus-covid-19/safe-to-ride

Based on what is going on here with the flock of people and the council stepping in, the PM plus others not being impressed with the social distancing, I think we need to prepare for lockdown next week.
Our yard is closed to unnecessary visitors. I am not even having the farrier because they are high risk. I will do it myself.
I am already washing my hands on arrival and leaving.

I do things with mine on my own as the norm anyway. But I read an MP say "if you are doing what is normal, you are not following the guidance"
We have adjusted because when we stopped to talk to some people they stayed on the other side of the lane. I won't allow anyone to stroke her anymore.
I won't be doing any jumping, but she will on the lunge possibly.

I am hearing people say we shouldn't be riding, then you should walk and not be driving is my response
We are all helping the NHS by following the government guidance. Life is on hold. Everyone is stressed in some way or other, those who didn't prepare or think it was serious have suddenly had a big shock. I am a few weeks ahead of those people, I had my big shock, fears and related oh sh1t a few weeks ago.

Animals are shown to lower our stress levels, they are used in therapy. Right now we all need that.
If we all crack up at the same time that will burden the NHS as well. I am seeing people crying because they are losing their businesses. I wonder what longterm implications this will have even on those with no prior mental health issues.

Last edited:
Fortunately my farriers not due for another 4 weeks. I expect he will carry on as normal. He'll only have chunky to do and as long as i get him in the farrier will just get on with him. I dont have to be there. The only thing he'll come into contact with is the leadrope. As long as i dont handle his feet before farrier comes or for 24hrs after cross contamination should be kept to a minimum.
Its the vet im more worried about. He came out last week for billy and took more xrays and injected more steroid. Hes due to come back next week to assess and inject more steroid. So we will be in closer contact then.

Fortunately my farriers not due for another 4 weeks. I expect he will carry on as normal. He'll only have chunky to do and as long as i get him in the farrier will just get on with him. I dont have to be there. The only thing he'll come into contact with is the leadrope. As long as i dont handle his feet before farrier comes or for 24hrs after cross contamination should be kept to a minimum.
Its the vet im more worried about. He came out last week for billy and took more xrays and injected more steroid. Hes due to come back next week to assess and inject more steroid. So we will be in closer contact then.

Yes I didn't want the close contact with my vet - (no offence mrs vet!!) but that's what would have happened if I'd had STorm's teeth done. They get picked and flushed and sometimes a light rasp. However she requires sedation - and all in all, it would have been one hour of close contact in a stable. Plus the added worry afterwards of where the vet had touched - not just her mouth. And headcollar etc etc. I guess I could have attempted some kind of anti-contamination by using a different head collar etc but the overall risk and worry was wearing me down so I made the decision not to go ahead.

newrider.com