Selling beloved pony to a RDA riding school?

MissFliss

Schooner,Duke,Nimue,Ponys
My daughter has finally outgrown her lovely pony, and we have arranged for him to have a trial at the RDA riding school, as he is very quiet, quick to learn and is well educated. They have looked him over and are very keen, but as the date draws closer for him going, I'm beginning to have some second thoughts.

This school has a very, very good reputation as far as looking after their horses. They are not overworked, have turnout most of the time and are quite spoilt with massages, good feed and cuddles! I would love the thought of Merlyn "working for good", and also knowing where he is and having unlimited visiting rights.

However, at a dressage competition on the weekend another rider suggested it was a waste of a talented pony to go to the RDA. She suggested he would be better off in a dressage/PC home where he can be further educated and perhaps make high levels. It's got me thinking as to what would be the best home for him. He is very smart and needs lots of stimulation, or he can be quite naughty, but is a steady, straightforward ride and is not scared of much. He has worked at a riding school before and hated it, but I think the RDA will be more challenging for him, with the different types of riders and handlers, not just being yanked in the mouth for an hour.

Oh well, maybe he will fail his trial and he can come home ;)

BTW here is a poem about the RDA, thought it was fabulous!!

I Saw A Child

I saw a child who couldn't walk,
sit on a horse, laugh and talk
Then ride it through a field of daisies
and yet he could not walk unaided.

I saw a child, no legs below,
sit on a horse and make it go
through the woods of green
and places he had never been
to sit and stare,
except from a chair.

I saw a child who could only crawl,
mount a horse and sit up tall.
Put it through degrees of paces
and laugh at the wonder in our faces.

I saw a child born into strife,
take up and hold the reins of life,
and that same child was heard to say...
Thank God for showing me the way.

-John Anthony Davies

Nice poem.

I think that you should put yourself in his shoes and have a good think of what he would really prefer. I was going to say go with the RDA school definitely but then changed my mind when you siad he doesn't like riding schools and has to be stimulated alot. Just don't worry about it, what ever happens is meant to be.

I think you need to do what YOU think is right, regardless of whatever anyone else thinks.
Lots of horses could probably go a lot further than they do in the right homes, but they are happy, loved and have a wonderful life right where they are. Our old dog had (as far as we can ever know) a fantatsically happy life and lived with a happy and caring family, she played with the kids, cuddled up to my mum and dad and was spoilt rotten. Not long after we got her, her breeder looked fter her while we were on holiday and offered to swap her for another pup as she was sure she would make a top grade show dog. She could maybe have gone on to win crufts, but would that have made her happy-probably not (she's a dog all she cares about is the next patch of cow poo to roll in) and we could offer her a great home, she lived the rest of her days with us. :D

Surely if it is a trial you can with draw him if you don't think that he is happy there, and anyone that works with horses should understand that fully, but you have made a fantatsic decision to offer a wonderful pony to a wodnerful coourse and give many less fortunate people the chance to share his life, remember that! and good luck whatever path you choose. :D

Vicki xx

why not check put the rda centre more

i compete at an rda centre in able bodied competitions

they have some very good riders & horses some of which compete & do very well

you may be quite wrongly asuming that your pony will have a mundane life whereas in reality he may well lead a life schooling & competing more akin to in a private home

i think also that there are many rda riders who ride well but for iueiher financial or physical issues could not manage to care for a horse of their own

i'm sure the centre would be happy for you to go along & see more of the work that they do & meet some of the riders

Also, if RDA is anything like here, many of the riders do compete to quite a high level. I have just done a judge training for RDA classes and the Grade IV para riders are riding at medium level or higher in competition. Many here compete in able-bodied dressage. The current Grade I world and Olympic champion (Lee Pearson) competes at PSG/Inter I level in affiliated dressage and has trained his own horse to GP level.

I have to say I agree with the others about checking out the RDA option more fully before changing your mind.

I would also have a good think about what he didn't like about riding school life, and whether that would happen again at the RDA school. Was it lots of activity on the yard? Or lots of different riders and carers? Or beginners riding him? Was he on the lead rein and didn't like it?

Lots to think about it, and although the RDA home may be for a more noble cause, it might not suit him. Equally it could be an ideal way of giving him plenty of work and mental stimulation and keep him out of mischief :p I guess you only know by knowing exactly what he likes/dislikes and what he is likely to encounter in each type of home :)

Like what others have said i think hat you have to do what you feel right.
Ihelp weekly at the RDA and the horses at my branch have the upmost care. the kids love them....and the horses love the kids.

Obviously not every horse would fit into this life style. Could you posiibly do a sort of trial period?? see how your horse does and then make your final final decision?

I agree with everyone here.

It neeeds to be what YOU think is the right move, but personally I'd go for the RDA.

Your horse doesn't know what his potential is, and (if hes like most) as logn as he gets fed and lots of hugs, he probably doesn't care! I think he would be happy with the RDA, and you have unlimited visiting.

That poem is so lovely!:)
Its entirely your decision but if he was mine I think I would at least give the trial a go and see where to go from there, good luck.

Thank you all for your replies - it has helped ease my mind.

We have already discussed with the RDA that he would be used for the more experienced riders mostly. They also run dressage comps for RDA and able bodied riders so Merlyn will still be doing his thing.

I think he disliked his experience at the riding school because he was overworked and, as he was so quiet and a good size, he was used by beginner children to experienced adults. I think the RDA will suit him better as they do lots of interesting things like Western trails and suchlike, as well as dressage and leadrein lessons. We used to live quite close to the centre and know some riders there, so I know he will be well treated.

We will see, he has a trial for as long as needed for them to make a decision. He is NOT your dopey bombproof pony, he can be cranky but doesn't do any thing about it, just lays his ears back and maybe lip a bit, but this may freak out some people. He does love to be the centre of attention and is just such a quick learner, he will have no problems with spooky things.

I will let you know how he goes.

I will miss him sooo much :( :(

i am a coach at RDA and they dont get wasted if they have talent...our riders do acctually compete in dressage beleive it or not...they are just seperate but sumtimes in open competition. They are also used as games ponies and small jumps at state shows (WA only). She sounds perfect for the kids at RDA and ponies are always needed and have a much more important job than any normal pony...they have to take care of a disabled rider whether it be physical or mental handycap that pony may be the one thing that keeps them really happy! You could even volunteer if you had a few hours free each week!! hint hint nudge nudge! :D Then you'll always be able to c ** pony!!

I would not rule out the RDA.They do an awful lot of competion work with talented ponies. I was contemplating loaning/selling them them my 14'1 Peppercorn but she found a loaner through a friend.

I have only ever ridden two championship horses- Charlie Fox a retired eventer that won at Bramham and Perky - a 13'2 pony that was the Scottish RDA dressage champion (he was a star!)

Last edited:
newrider.com