serious injury, what to do now

Am so sorry that you broke your back...
So did I, 2 months ago now...broke my lower back, among other places...Been having a lot of set backs too....along with not being able to take many of the pain meds...so they got me one that is working so far...but I so want off of...but know I can't yet.
I too am pondering if I will ever ride again....if I am willing to take the chance?
Right now...it is doubt full.
I never knew...someone could be this hurt and in so much pain.
Not going to beat around the bush...you have a long haul ahead of you.
If you need someone to talk or write to... let me know.
If you get so down and do not think you can take things anymore....talk to someone!! That is the only reason I am still here. I know my hubby...and another friend who was hurt two months earlier than I was ...just as badly.
We are supporting each other. It helps.

Hubby also said....it could of been much much worse....and looking at it that way...helps.
<<HUG>>

I'm so sorry you've had this shocking accident- when the laws of physics take over, there's nothing you can do- off you jolly well come, and OUCH:eek:

I think you're amazing to be feeling cross about losing riding time; I just wanted to hide under the woodpile and never come out:p
You've got some spirit!!!

Poor Faerie Rider had a similar reaction from her riding school. It's extremely hurtful not to receive a sympathetic response when you're feeling so vulnerable- and you broke your blimmin back!

I hope you can rest and recover, don't get too frazzled, cos your mind needs peace and quiet to ward off the wibblies;)

What a lovely daughter you have:) :) :)

I'd go back there with your daughter and be polite. If she doesn't ask how you are feeling (knowing that you have had such a serious injury). Change riding schools, and give your money to someone else.

I knackered my back up big time years ago getting thrown on a gallop whilst hacking in Wales, but as the others have said, you want to play with horses, you are going at some stage to pick up injuries. It is part of the game.

WELL...... I had a call yesterday, which I took, rather than hubby, and she did ask how I am, so it's all sorted on that front... she's a funny sort, and doesn't speak much (too many plums in her mouth) but at least that's sorted

Isn't it ridiculous how apparent lack of contact or concern makes you feel so low? I guess its a self-esteem thing; and at times like this that's important.

I've added on to Faeri rider's thread cos its awful to be ignored, poor thing and I think she's a little bit ahead of me in the healing game, so I'm learning a bit from her

As are you Sharin, but you still sound in so much pain, poor you.. My painkillers are fine, I have actually starteed to reduce them due to being too woozy; and the cumbersome back brace is a support at least. Thanks for the warning about the road ahead though, I just want to get fit. I am determined to get back to riding; but will not attempt to make it any earlier than 6 months. Bone strength is the reason, that takes time.....

Upper back - shoulders and neck are so so tense though. Got a five minute massage from my lovely son an hour ago; and did I need it!! What a wuss, his fingers were hurting after 5 mins so I let him off.

Thanks all so much for your good wishes.

That is great that she phoned, Anne!

All you want is a bit of recognition of your existence and that she cares about your well being.

Good, now put that cow behind you. She doesn't matter in the equation now and focus all your energy in a postive way to..........

feeling better,

feeling well,

walking upright and freely,

getting on with daily tasks easily.

You'll get there missus!

Dx

Just thought I'd pop a reply onto this one to offer you, as EML says, a gentle hug now you're starting to heal. What an awful thing to have happened, and all the very best healing vibes from Essex. I have daughters too. They can be great can't they?:)

Thanks Cazrider, delighted its starting to heal and I've found replies to this thread such a help. I can hardly believe daughter wrote that reply - she's gone off skiing now so will have to wait till Saturday to see her about it :D

get well vibes

wow you're really being really brave about all this- fair play to you. hope the healing is quick and that you can get back to riding as soon as possible and keep your daughter company again.
she's lucky going skiing - snows great at the moment .
Anyway- sending best wishes and healing vibes over to you so you can get back up there before too long- i really admire your attitude x

Hi Anne

Sorry have only just seen your mail on my thread..have turned into a bit of a lurker...:eek:

So sorry to hear about your fall seems almost identical to mine other than the fact the boy I was on was just walking when he spooked...please take it slowly..and do what feels right for you...a spine is not something that can be replaced.

I am finally out of my back brace now and go back to the fracture clinic on friday next week..so fingers crossed...but as I wrote on Stormy's Mums thread just now...if he turns round and says to me no more riding then that will be it...I know that I could fall over tomorrow and damage it again but I don't know whether I could willingly put myself at risk again...

I have had no contact from the RI...I drove myself to the hospital...texted her to tell her I had fractured my spine...nothing..called her the next day to tell her extent of injury...she was very suprised...not once was there a hope you feel better soon...I even drove down to visit before Christmas to drop a card off in back brace..3 weeks later...she was very pleasant ..but since Xmas nothing..not a text or quick call to see how I am healing...so all the times I helped out feel like they were totally wasted..but what do I do now..do I go down and visit..do I leave it.. I can't help out I couldn't muck out..my back wouldn't take the strain...and to be honest as they have shown me no courtesy I don't really feel like giving up me spare time...

So I totally understand how you feel..I know people are frightened that other people are going to sue them..but what happened to manners and pleasantries...(god I sound like my mother)

I don't know whether I will ride again...we will see... I can barely get up in the morning at mo and after sitting for any period of time am very stiff but the fall seems to of aggravated my arthritis..so hopefully your recovery will be quicker...plus there is the painkiller addiction..always a nightmare.

Goodness I have whittered on..should of pm'd this I suppose but can't face typing again as i am sooooo slow it's embarassing..

A little tip for you a hot water bottle on your back does wonders...
Feel free to PM me if you like and we can have a natter...take it easy am thinking of you...

lol FR
xxx

Hi Katrina (same name as my daughter just different spelling....)

Thanks for your reply. I'll pm you, and I have put up another thread for us all to support each other (if you want....) in the general section, although I'm getting a few negs about it; not to worry, I can be a bit of a big mouth at times.

You sound more positive in your post, keep it up...
A.

Sorry to hear about your awful accident, and also the indifference you received from your RI (this goes to Pepsi and Faerie, I know you've both suffered).

Best wishes for a speedy recovery x

Sending you big gentle hugs {{{{ Hugs }}}} and support from Hampshire, aand i undertsand the frustration of being told no riding, chin up and stay positive which I know seems immpossible sometimes.;)

newrider.com