Shall i get rid of her mane?

Georgie.I

Aug 8, 2008
Altrincham, cheshire
As you will guess from the pictures i have a Fjord mare, she came to me with a mane and iv nearly had her a year, many people have told me to "hog" it like her breed but im not sure... What do you think? Its a bit longer now these pics were in winter about 2 inches longer...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

( sorry dont know how to make them smaller :confused: )

My fjord has his mane in the traditional crescent shape and I wouldn't have it any other way, but it does take time and effort to keep it trim and neat. But your mare is so lovely, and I do like her mane either way.

How do you do them short :confused: I do have to say after looking at pics of your fjord Id quite like twiggys short! Your fjord is stunning i think the pics have even convinced my mum to let twiggy have a short mane!!

it is up to you want u want to do with her mane, i grew my boys to see what he would look like but after a couple of months i cut it again and suddenly it was 'him' again. if are going to trim it properly please use scissors as nearly had a crisis the day before a show when i used clippers and he moved, a hair dresser friend had to save me from hysterics.

i personally have always kept fjords with a long mane, i hate hogged manes though.

(i seem to have just bought a new fjord too)

it is up to you want u want to do with her mane, i grew my boys to see what he would look like but after a couple of months i cut it again and suddenly it was 'him' again. if are going to trim it properly please use scissors as nearly had a crisis the day before a show when i used clippers and he moved, a hair dresser friend had to save me from hysterics.

I've always found clippers an easier option, but as you said there is a chance of slipping.

We have a Highland not a fjord so I'm no expert !! but I love her mane :)
I'm am a fan of the hairies though so I'm prob. not the best person to comment !, I think she is stunning though :D

newrider.com