Sharers/part loaners - how much do you pay?

chickflick1066

May 7, 2004
West Yorkshire
Sorry to be nosey I am just intrigued. What do you pay, per week, and what does that cover? Do you have to pay a portion towards farriery? What do you think is reasonable price-wise and how much would be too much?

A lot of variables in there ! Depends on how the horse is kept ie grass, DIY or Full.

Most people just pay a portion of the horses livery/farrier/feed or annual cost split down to a daily rate then how ever many days they share the horse they pay that. Typically I think it's common for a horse to be on DIY that the sharer pay around £15 - 20 a week and nothing else.

I just ask that my sharer covers the cost of the farrier, and has her own insurance. Horse lives on fresh air and needs nowt else, I cover all the remainder of his costs.

Not at all, ask away ! (Nice to see you back btw ;) )

Farrier at the moment is £18 as the horse without shoes and I'm trying him out to see if he can cope without them, so far he can. But if doesn't then she'll pay for his front shoes to go back on, he has these on average every 6 weeks, longer in the winter as his feet don't grow that quickly. Although he only saw the farrier about 4 weeks ago to have his fronts removed and needs a trim pretty soonish now. The insurance she has is the BHS gold one for about £70 ? a year.

When I was a sharer, I paid £20 per week for 3 days. No stable duties required but I liked to help out. The horses were kept on her own private yard.

I had 2 other horses after that, both £30 per week for 3 days and one was one full livery and one on own private yard. Again, no stable duties required.

Interesting, thank you.

I used to share a stunning gelding but I felt because he was nearly 19 miles away (there and back) it was costing me too much in time and money. The actual agreement was only £15 pw but he was on very basic grass livery with good hacking but no where to school.

For me that was expensive but only cos I knew my contribution covered the cost of his livery and for livery of her shetland too.

I've seen another for £12.50 PW + shoes which could potentially be £60 every six weeks. So that's almost £27.50 PW. I am wondering if that is a little bit pricey for 2-3 days per week. Hmm.

Ive never been a sharer but I did have a sharer when I had Twig. She paid £10 per week for 2 days. My livery at the time was only £80 a month and I didn't need the money just wanted him exercised!!

My friend currently shares a horse on the yard where I have Buzz and she pays £15 per week for 2days although owner is happy for her to do 3 days if she wants to.

Neither arrangements included shoe payments

It depends on so many things though - what is the hacking like ? (If that's your thing) is there a school ? Would you use it ? How many jobs would need doing that day ? How many days are you looking at ? How far away is the share ? If it were 10 mins away and you'd be better off in time and fuel it could be cheaper ?

I pay £25 pw. Technically that gets me a hacking horse (bombproof and one in a million) 3 days a week at a very good DIY yard, indoor & outdoor school, great hacking, no chores (though I like doing them). In reality I have the choice of three horses and this week I will be riding 5 days, oh and a fabulous owner.

I have a sharer for my sisters gelding - £15 per week for 3 days, no stable duties as out 24/7, i feed/hay each night but if i cant make it she does all 3 horses. She can hack or school or have lessons on him.

I worked out his costs by adding up how much he costs (rent/hay/farrier/insurance) then dividing it in half....

I also have a few people who pay to ride him somedays for £10 a day as and when they want or when i am not using him.

Both of my shares worked out at about 120 a month, initially Sam was local to me but when I spit up with the ex it was a 40 mile trip each way at one point, that included shoes but there were no chores really, ok hacking and a good school. CharliePony was also ridden 3 times a week, mucking out and bringing in on my 3 days, he was 20 miles away, good school and AMAZING hacking.

Both a lot cheaper than having my own, even on grass livery! :D

Something I am interested in is how much do you charge a sharer when you are on a much more expensive yard. I pay £411 for 5 day livery (so have to do DIY on Saturday and Sunday), £65 insurance, £47 shoes, £15 feed (so £538). There is an indoor school, amazing hacking, shop, showers for horses and humans. How much would you charge, expect to pay for a share in this scenario? When I had the ponies I charged £75 a month for 3 days a week for the shod one and £50 for the unshod one but we had no school, it was completely DIY (but I only asked for poo picking) and the hacking meant going along a busy road.

I'd charge the market rate. For me it's not about home much the horse costs or divvying up costs, it's about pricing realistically for what you have to offer in your area.

There's nothing to gain in charging more, or less than the going rate, and round here there are loads of shares available so the price has to be pitched right, regardless of what the horse costs the owner.

I think if I was to consider a sharer I would charge them £20-25 per week as our local trekking centre charges £26 for a 1 hr hack and £40 for 2, so even to ride once would be cheaper for them. It's something I have thought about as I now have 2 horses to ride - my old lad Carlow was off through injury most of last year, I bought Archi as a replacement and now Carlow's back in light work.

We have access to excellent hacking, a large floodlit outdoor which doesn't freeze, a small indoor, a lunge pen, so the sharer would be able to ride all year round whatever the weather. If Archi was lame or off work for any reason they could still ride Carlow, even if it's just a walk round the village (he can't canter/jump any more).

I was just interested, seeing as I can’t find one person who wants to ride for free on weekdays, it is unlikely should I ever need/want a proper share including weekends I could find anyone anyway. I used to struggle to find people for the ponies too. Both of them were suitable for novices.

It depends a lot on the circumstances of the share. I've had two similar shares - both 3 days per week, in the same area - and one cost me £40 per week while the other cost £20.

The former covered 3/7 of the cost of the horse's full livery (try doing that sum in your head!), and the horse was available for share because the owner needed the money. I could do as much or as little as I wanted. The yard had a floodlit school and more hacking than I managed to explore in 5 months on a very enthusiastic arab mare. So although I was paying over the odds for the area I was very happy with the deal.

The £20 per week share is my most recent one, and is for a horse on DIY livery. There is no assistance offered so I do everything on my 3 days. The owner needs the help more than the money, and I could have more days at the same cost if I had time. The money certainly doesn't cover half the horse's costs. Reading some of the prices on here, I'm starting to think I should move!

With my first part loan it was £15 per week for 3 days, that included the normal stables jobs, there was onsite fields, it was part livery and i didn't have to pay for shoes. At the moment, I pay 20 per week, but its a brillant yard, its DIY , fields onsite, great hacking 2 floodlight schools, really friendly yard etc. And I pay half shoeing which is £33 when she gots shod. Plus i have really clicked with her and she is brillant to hack out in company ( no more then 3) otherwise we get too excited and end up cantering down the road!:redcarded: On her own she is brillant though :)

My sharer doesn't pay anything but she helps me out instead, mucking out, poo picking etc. If he ever needed shoes then she would contribute towards those.

I've been advertising for an offer to share with the fact that I can offer more work than money (could stretch to £30 a month) but so far no takers. I know most owners need sharers for the money but its finding one that doesn't have the time, not finances.

newrider.com