sharing arena - would you feel mithed?

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
This has started to happen more often..
Now I don't mind sharing, but I know myself, that I'd always check the diary before going to ask the person who's booked it, if I can share, then go and tack up. That's how I always behave, most of the time I stick to my booked times anyway, it's very rare I'd encroach on someone else.
Now, this has been happening.. I don't get asked before hand, person (lets call her 'A') just turns up at gate, horse tacked up and then asks, making me feel obliged to say yes. A couple of times, another person (let's call her 'B') just walks into menage doesn't even ask and gets on, then uses the full menage, leaving me feeling uncomfortable, and I end up shortening my time in there a tad mithed.
I like my personal space. I have between half an hour to an hour 2 to 3 times a week. I've started putting 'no share' on some of my slots, particularly on a fridays and mondays (I don't mind at weekends, as I know how hard it is to book a slot).
It's been getting to the point where it's happening more and more, and I now rarely get a full half an hour to myself.
I had a lesson booked on monday, and I'd decided to take the lunge kit and saddle before hand to the arena then get Shadow. As I walk out with him, 'person A' (the one who usually appears to just come tacked up to the gate) starts to come out of the other barn, horse tacked up, obviously hoping to share the time.
My RI's other client was still being taught, so she immediately realised she couldn't just ask then started to untack.

i've never been on a yard where the school wasn't shared randomly. if everyone is sticking to the basic etiquette, I'd be fine with it.

if you have a fixed booking system in place and pay for school use, it's different i guess.

I don't know how I feel about this tbh as I have always shared arenas with other people and don't mind it at all. I do think it is just plain good manners to say "is it ok to come in?" if there's someone riding when you arrive at the arena, however I would be miffed if they said no, I don't really see why it's so hard to ride with other people. But as I said, I'm used to schooling in company, I might feel differently if I was used to having the whole space to myself.

We book slots in a diary, we have the option to put 'no share' if we wish.
It's just it would be nice to be asked first, that bothers me more that than the actual sharing (I'm quite a shy person in real life, keep myself to myself, I feel crowded if you know where I'm coming from?:unsure:).
When I share we split the arena in two. I know about passing left hand to left hand, but when they keep changing direction whilst your in mid canter on a circle (B to E for example) I loose concentration and mess up :redface: All I can think about is I hope I don't crash into them................

We've only got a domestic size school, so its not all that feasable to share. but if I'd booked it I would HATE to share my half hour, I'm not that good a rider to cope with distractions.

'Fraid I'm probably socially inept enough to say no its not OK without thinking (I just tend to answer a question truthfully unless brain is fully engaged, as in 'do i need a biger size jeans?' 'yes you do') Then feel guilty afterwards for being blunt.

I think people should always ask and make sure. But alot of people are so obnoxious and dont even bother these days. Its not hard to have manners is it...well you'd think anyway :unsure:

At our yard we dont have any booking system, which i think actually works quite well for us. Its very laid back kind of yard, like somtimes 5 of us will end up in the schooling paddock and all school at the same time. Its quite a laugh really :giggle:

BUT saying that its a little irratating if you do want to just be on your own, in that case i just wait till they go home :giggle:

Sorry not a very useful reply, can see why it annoys you though!

It's just it would be nice to be asked first, that bothers me more that than the actual sharing (I'm quite a shy person in real life, keep myself to myself, I feel crowded if you know where I'm coming from?:unsure:).

Yeah, actually I do understand that bit. As I said in my other post I do consider it good manners for people to say something first. This "A" person does sound a bit rude!

I know about passing left hand to left hand, but when they keep changing direction whilst your in mid canter on a circle (B to E for example) I loose concentration and mess up :redface: All I can think about is I hope I don't crash into them................

Oh yes am familiar with this too & have had many near-misses in my time :giggle: But riding with other people really is a case of practise makes perfect & it will become more natural soon enough :) It will also mean you're well-prepared if you decide to go competing and find yourself in a crowded warmup. Just a tip, don't be afraid to actually tell the other riders out loud what you are about to do, sometimes if you haven't read each other's intentions then a hurried "I'm turning riiiiiiiiiiight!!!" can make all the difference :giggle:

Last edited:
I'd always ask before going in the school if someone else was using it & I'd expect someone else to do the same. Sometimes sharing isn't convenient or safe eg if Jim is being a handful I'd really rather not work around someone else in a 20x40 arena because if anything goes wrong it can be hard to avoid them! Likewise I don't like sharing with little kids on ponies because they don't seem to know correct school manners, have no concept that tearing past me squealing may upset my horse & there's the added worry that if they use Jim as a braking system a kick or buck from a fired up ID may mean they never learn any better. Sharing is fine if both parties are considerate, follow school rules & have adequate control but sadly this isn't always the case.

People wouldn't dream of coming in on foot with cob let alone on a horse. She is very green, very strong and they have seen me go from one end of the school to the other trying to encourage her to turn or stop! I think you would be pretty dumb to come in when she is online and even more when loose.

I think if i had specifically booked a slot which is what youdid then i would leave you alone and wait. At most people are what an hour top. You could have a test you want to ride and I may cross your path.

I have shared when jumping as both of us shared the jumps.

I probably wouldn't notice anyone waiting, i am trying to focus on what i am doing. Disturbing someone when they have booked it is rude.

Eta-our yard has a rule that staff use the school up until a certain time. Then first come first served afterwards. But it is a nice yard and I will say are you using school, if they are i can do my groundwork on the actual yard so i can go off and find something else to do for half hour.

Last edited:
The indoor at my RS is huge and we are expected to share. Although if we want to lunge a horse we have to ask if it's okay if there are other riders.

My indoor at home is for me and me alone ;)

If the rule is to book it then just stick with it. Just remind them when they walk in : "oh sorry! I booked the arena. I will be out of here by 5pm" (so they know when they can take over -of course they should have just looked in the book but you get my drift...)

People wouldn't dream of coming in on foot with cob let alone on a horse. She is very green, very strong and they have seen me go from one end of the school to the other trying to encourage her to turn or stop! I think you would be pretty dumb to come in when she is online and even more when loose.

Perfect! There you go then DS - any time someone comes to the gate, pretend your horse is loopy and you are TOTALLY out of control, then they won't want to come in :tongue:

If someone is in a arena before i am i would always ask before entering. i wouldn't however go in or ask to come in if someone was lunging i would wait till they had finished.

If i had the same set up as yourself and you had to book slots i wouldn't expect anyone else to use it when i was without asking.

Perfect! There you go then DS - any time someone comes to the gate, pretend your horse is loopy and you are TOTALLY out of control, then they won't want to come in :tongue:

I think they know i'm highly unlikely to say no, and have control lol!

I prefer to have the school on my own, as Moët gets easily distracted.

We only have a small school (standard 40x20) and can have up to 3 people in there at a time!

If I want to guarantee nobody in there with me I ride outside peak times, first thing in the morning is great!

If you don't want to share just put 'no share' on your time slot?

I do agree that it's rude not to ask. If i need to ride a dressage test and I know someone else has their horse in and I suspect they want to use the school I specifically go round and ask if they could give me 15 mins solo before coming in so I have time to ride it through.

Did you want to borrow her? She has broken the gate again when itches bottom on it, so you would have to sign disclaimer.

My horse has a cool move he's developed where if I open the catch, and move him towards the gate, he'll put his head down towards the top of the gate and push it open with his nose.. he then repeats process shutting the gate afterwards :smile: I got a "That's a cool trick, i'm jealous lol!" the other day..

It's more than a decade since I last shared the arena with more than one other horse.. that's of course if you don't include show rings :smile:

Yes I would be a bit peeved! I used to get sacked off when I had paid to have a lrsson and then teo or three kids on ponies came in pkus people whp did not even ask!!
Other yard was a circus too as you could end up with 6 in!! That was not good as sometimes they would try and lunge or even jump! One person was a real pain- they used to set huge jumps up and expect the rest of us to get out of their way!! They did not even ask!!! Thing is, this person did not leave any room for anybody else!! As there was no proper booking procedure we had to relu on good manners and give and take....

'Fraid I'm probably socially inept enough to say no its not OK without thinking (I just tend to answer a question truthfully unless brain is fully engaged, as in 'do i need a biger size jeans?' 'yes you do') Then feel guilty afterwards for being blunt.[/QUOTE]

Yes !!!! think I'd get on with you as often say something best left unsaid. As to someone wanting to ride in our very small school at the same time as me would just say no you'll be in my way ( & they would as we have several inept adults ,one who shouts hysterically at her young horse ,& children arrgh! ). The yelling screaming woman would have my boy shaking with fright as he hates that sort of thing & her horse is completely out of control & kicks ( could kick the eye out of a needle ).Have given up on good manners when people ask who are a downright nuisance as they only take you seriously if you're blunt to the point of rudeness :giggle:. The people who are considerate & can control their horse I don't have a problem with as have had a lifetime of sharing collecting rings & realise human beings do some very odd things :biggrin:

My horse has a cool move he's developed where if I open the catch, and move him towards the gate, he'll put his head down towards the top of the gate and push it open with his nose.. he then repeats process shutting the gate afterwards :smile: I got a "That's a cool trick, i'm jealous lol!" the other day..

It's more than a decade since I last shared the arena with more than one other horse.. that's of course if you don't include show rings :smile:

The catch is now rope as it has dropped off the hinges.. Not sure who did that when run into it. Been repaired after she double barrelled it. Now they don't bother. :yellowcarded:
i actually think the school would look better without a gate tbh . Then i wouldn't break it.

newrider.com