She has started to canter off??

cobmum

Sep 13, 2009
Middlewich
My normally kick along ploddy cob has started getting really strong in trot or just taking off into canter. Teeth recently done and saddle fitter said one of the best fitting saddles she has seen in a long time.

Even with a lunge first she is still trying it on! Never done anything like this in a year so a bit worried and its knocking my confidence big time!

Is it in the school or hacking? If it's out hacking, I would try a stronger bit, personally. My girl galloped off with me a few times hacking, and I rode her in a three ring gag for a while, although we're on top of it and back to hacking in a snaffle again. If she's doing it in the school, I would get some lessons with a good RI and work through it. Good luck!

Could she be feeling really good since everything is in good order? Sounds like she is really testing you. Can you ride her in an enclosed area making sure she is soft and responsive before you hack. Not to wear her out but to get her mind soft and tuned in to you.

Is she stabled or living out, does she get much turnout if she is stabled ? I think this time of year a lot of horses get a bit silly, sometimes even just a nip of frost in the air can have them full of high spirits. Our temperatures are up and down at the moment and i think it does affect them.

If your horse is on restricted turnout and perhaps clipped, I would imagine that he/she is just a bit fresh. There are many horses who start to get fed up about this time of year and become more challenging to ride.

In another post you have mentioned the pony being green, are you giving mixed messages?

Do they need more training as you were also looking for an instructor to get on if you didn't get something, but it could be the pony doesn't get it?

She is green but literally just started doing it. She isn't on any hard feed at all and is getting as much turn out as possible. I have had two experienced riders on her in case it is me and she still does it. I think she is fresh and first time she has ever had a blanket clip so this might be another reason.

newrider.com