Sheath cleaning - Help!

It is a good description!It makes me think maybe I shoulda kept my loony time of the month mare,but I think that being shown up in the middle of the road while my mare does her seduction dance at the whole horse population,and a quick slush round in a field far from view isnt so bad.But I still havent had a go yet!

Sorry I'm late Karl, missed this thread up till now:D
Can't possibly claim any expertise in this area but we did have a go at it on an NVQ session a couple of weeks back.

Basically it was warm water, sponge and a squirt of sheath cleaner to get a bit of a lather for lubrication, and get in there, whilst keeping one hand on the hindquarters for observational purposes. Then just keep going till no more crud comes out. I was lucky, the old chap I was cleaning had a big grin on his face the whole time, but I can imagine it's a hairy job if the horse objects. And things do stay tucked right up at the end;)

C'mon Karl, I hope you're not leaving all the grubby jobs to Caroline;)

I've just laughed out loud at a website! Ah yes, the 'bean' that's why we had to sedate him. Listen folks, Benny is 13.2 and I'm 6ft tall but I can't get up to 'shake hands' as I'd be upside down with my head in a VERY precarious place. And they are absolutely right about the smell. It is well - pervasive.

LOL that link was brilliant! Unfortunately I havent been doing it properly either ....... I'm not sure the word brilliant will be in my vocabulary when I am looking for the `bean' though!!!!!!

Hey, I read the text on that site, and then went and did Benny properly and found a smegma 'bean' under the foreskin. Benny was really a bit freaked about it so I gave him some hay and used my body weight to push him against a wall. It's flipping difficult to do when you're 6ft tall and the pony's 13.2hh - I was almost upside down trying to get my arm up the hole!

Hi guys!

Sorry to 're awaken' this thread but I need some advice!
OK, read the thread, read the link about how to do it properly, got the warm water, gloves & sheath cleaner & got in there! Luckily for me, Pageant is about as good natured as they come and did nothing but eat hay and nuzzle my back for the whole time!:D
RIght- the problem, got in as far as I could- up to nearly my elbow- I have quite long forearms- couldnt seem to get in any further, but couldnt find the 'bean'! Come to that, not even sure if I found the 'dangly bit'!
Which leads me on to my next question- do all geldings 'drop' their dangly bits to the full extent at some time? The reason I ask is because in the 18 months I have had Pageant, I have never seen him do this! Without wishing to get crude, he 'drops' about 8-10 inches when he pees or is very relaxed, but this looks to me like it is just the end- one of the other geldings in the yard drops the lot-looks like about 18 inches & the crusty bits are plain to see, but Pageant doesnt seem to 'drop' lower than the smooth bit, if you know what I mean!
Sorry to be quite so descriptive, but I am a bit concerned that he isn't 'normal'!
So, how do I find the 'bean' and is his lack of 'dropped length' anything to worry about?

I know this sounds disgusting claireh but......you'll find they do vary how much they drop down as it were - I hadn't noticed till I got obsessive about sheath cleaning! When you get your hand and arm up there you will find the penis retracted almost inside a 'hole'. You need to get your fingers through the orifice, then around the tip and the bean is under the lip of the penis. It's awfully difficult to describe, but you get as far up as you think you can then a bit more and suddenly it's THERE - and it's gungy. By this stage Pageant may well decide to whip round on you, well behaved as he is, so watch it!

Thanks Cathy!
Next time I'm 'up there' I will have a good poke around and see if I can find it from your description- may leave it for a couple of weeks as I dont want Pageant or anyone else getting funny ideas about me! Seems like most of the gelding owners I know think that sheath cleaning is unecessary and a little perverse! Not that I let what anyone else thinks stop me from doing what I think is best for my boy! Will also take heed of your 'warning' about pushing Pageants good nature and wear a hard hat & make sure Im feeling particularly nimble for my next attempt!;)

I have a 23 yr old gelding that needs his sheath cleaned at least every two weeks. I had to have the vet out to do it the first time and he tried to kick the vet to pieces. The vet had to sedate him. I decided that that wouldn't work.

I had been reading about the Tellington Touch, so I used the little circling of the fingers down his neck and across his body. Eventually he became sooo relaxed that he dropped. I then used this when I had a hose, warm water, gloves and a sheath cleaner handy. Now I just clean him, no T touch. He's found he feels A LOT better afterwards. In fact when I'm brushing him he will kick his back foot against his belly to tell me he needs this done. (No kidding!)

Ok.. umm..
I have a gelding with alot of crusty bits,I'd say hes never been done!! He is 15 years old so I am quite worried about him.
I have tried all i can to get to his ermm.. sheath and no matter what he will not let me near it.
If i hold his front hoof up he is too strong and just ends up being able to put it down....
What can i do? I cant get near it so I cant clean it! Is sedation the only answer?

sometimes if you cant get close enough to make shealth cleaning a happy thing for your horse then maybe you might consider asking your vet to do it...especiallly if its really ucky

newrider.com