Sheath cleaning

Cleanboots

Feb 3, 2010
I have just been reading about a horse who has had maggots in his sheath which has resulted in the poor thing needing vetinary treatment, this was due to the horse not having his sheath cleaned!

This has made me think, I only wash my boys in that area about twice a year, and when i do, i just use warm water and a sponge.

For those of you with Geldings, how often do you wash the sheath and what do you use?

Just trying to pick up some useful tips x

My gelding gets cleaned about every 6 months, but I'll check him every so often to make sure it doesn't get to bad up there. Other gelding is quite clean normally so he gets done only in the summer.

I use warm water, sponge and some sheath cleaner, (I went to use cold water once without thinking, but then OH saw what I was filling the bucket for and told me off :eek: ) although I have heard some people use baby oil but that sometimes this can interfere with the pH balance or bacteria for up there on them, have also heard of some people using KY Jelly.

My boy Murphy is a bit funny about having his bits touched, where as I think Shay quite likes it! I keep an eye on how dirty they look, when they get their bits out to pee,Murphy gets dirtier than Shay, I have always tried to use a sponge and warm water but I rubbed some baby oil on Shays last time and just inside his sheath and it seems to have done the trick.

I can't get near my boys bits to clean them without him being sedated first. His gets done once a year when we sedate him for clipping or something else :eek:

Our gelding has his cleaned about once a year - they don't seem to need cleaning more often! Whenever I do it (this is going to sound graphic!!!) I pick off anything loose and then use some baby oil to loosen other gunk. He's never that bad really - and he doesn't seem to mind.
I have seen sheath cleaning wipes in the tack shop - but haven't tried 'em.

Rusty seems to rather enjoy the process :eek: I use warm water and sheath cleaner about every 4 months. When I'm grooming him he usually lets everything hang out, so I pick off loose bits then.

Well, my gelding does seem to get a bit gunky and so I'd say every three months or so. I do use Johnson's baby wash (sheath cleaner seemed useless really) and frankly just get my hand in there. He's generally pretty good about it, although I wouldn't claim that he likes it as such.

Harvey hates it and will have a good attempt at killing you even after being sedated. Last attempt was when he was sedated to have some dremel dental work done.

So I will keep an eye and every so often squirt some baby oil in the vincity if I can aim well enough. Otherwise will just check his weeing habits etc are all fine.

Harvey's is really gunky! I haven't ever cleaned it and nor has Claire but I squirted 'it' with baby oil at the weekend when he had it hanging out and hoping it will be squeaky clean next time I see him otherwise I'm gonna have to go 'in' :sickface: interested to hear you use baby shampoo showqa as I did look at sheath cleaner and it was almost £10! Which seems a lot for a bit of willy wash :eek:

My gelding does get quite dirty and smelly so he gets done 3-4 times a year or whenever it needs it!

I do have sheath cleaner but the best method i have found so far is using a sponge and warm water to the worst of the loose bits, then once groomed and tacked up, squirt baby oil up there (including using hand ful of oil to get right up there!), after ride use more warm water and sponge to remove the rest :)

Indie doesn't particularly like it but he tolerates it!

My friends cob however only gets done every couple of years by the vet as he is heavily sedated and still tries to kick vet! Luckily he is fairly clean.

Only if necessary.

Thankfully only have had do do one of my boys once, he seemed to have an itch that he just couldn't scratch. :rolleyes:

He is normally quite aloof, but whilst doing the business he went all mushy on me. :eek::eek:

He didn't seem to have a problem after, so must have got that itch. :D:D

Oscar needs his cleaned quite regular through the summer months as the flies seem to love his manly parts and he gets really itchy, but Red & Gypsy only need theirs cleaned twice a year maybe ?

Well, I figured that if it's sensitive enough to be used on day old baby's skin it must be ok for my fella's dangly bits! Certainly gets it clean and with a good rinse afterwards I've never noticed any irritation.

Curtosey of flipos mum, baby wipes!

Best thing, with an impatient gnat running about you have to be fast before he bunny hops off :rolleyes: so they work well wipe and drop, wipe and drop (on the floor)... can worry about carnage after but washing sponge out just takes too long... And I couldnt fit a snponge up there :eek:

newrider.com