Sheath Cleaning

dcp

Mar 31, 2005
Scotland
www.freewebs.com
Hello people, I need a little help about sheath cleaning. My boy is making a noise when he is trottnig and all the girls at the yard have told me he needs his sheath cleaned. I have read through some old posts on this site and some people believe in doing it and others don't and I'm confused. How exactly do you do it? I am going to buy a sheath cleaner tomorrow and have a go but does anyone have any instructions. My boy is just new and I'm not sure if he has had this done before so I am not sure how he will react.

Thank u :D

I do my gelding regulaly as it keeps the flies off and him comfy' he doesn't mind that much' I use a sheath cleaner which you work well in then wash it off' they do get pretty grubby' I also do between the mares teats and the back end gets pretty gunged up' they don't mind when they get used to it' although my young mare always gets affronted with lots of tail swishing.

I always clean my TB's sheath with a sponge and very mild solution of Hibbi Scrub in warm water.

If your not sure how he'll react - tread carefully by constantly observing his body language.

AND........

Always wear rubber gloves. ;)

newrider.com