Shedding sole

JanC

Nov 10, 2006
The post lami saga continues - abscesses, holes, now shedding sole. My trimmer and others assured me that a naturally shedding sole wasn't a bad thing but it does look ugly and I'm sure I can actually see her hoof wall through the chunk that has come away - is this ok? She's sound on everything bar stones. Should I work her normally with boots on or let her heal? I am disinfecting all every 2/3 days and she is spending nights on sand arena.

I worked J in boots and pads, and occasionally on sand to help get rid of the sole that was coming away - bit confused about the seeing the hoof wall bit though?

J was losing big 50p sized 5mm thick chunks early on - horrid :eek:

can you take a pic of the hoof in question and send it to your farrier? you could also post it here for the professionals to answer, but I think your farrier would be the one to give the best advice for your particular horses' situation.

I realise all hooves will be different but how thick is the sole? Will take pics. My farrier warned me it might look ugly soon when he was last here 2 weeks ago. Pads won't fit into her swiss hoof boots - they're really snug as it is. Her G2s are too big for her now. Farrier thinks the fores have still a long way to go but are on their way to being much better working hooves. We now have concavity in her hinds. Thanks for all your help.

I've no personal experience of this but I have read that post laminitics can shed an entire layer of sole in one go if there has been a sub solar abcess. I've also seen photos of a non laminitic transitioning horse that shed a thick wedge of sole all at once leaving a long hoof wall behind, it was its own way of reducing the height of the hoof to something more normal. On the face of it it doesn't sound like anything to worry about :)

Its a good thing! As the feet recover the sole sheds and reveals a new and improved sole underneath :) If a lot of sole has gone then pony might need a pedicure a bit sooner than planned since it might leave the wall too long relative to the sole. Otherwise carry on and be happy!

newrider.com